Hot gear lever

Silverbake

During a long days driving on Friday (a hot, sunny day) I gradually became aware that the lower shaft of the gear lever was becoming uncomfortably hot. I knew the oil level was OK and there was no sound/sign of stress, but this was HOT!

Came home worrying about seizing-up / expensive repairs etc. and slept on it.

Yesterday, went off to the woods to do some work post-15495-1240737179_thumb.jpg but with a simple trial modification: before setting-off I lifted the plastic surround from the gear lever and removed the two halogen bulbs which illuminate the selector panel. Drove 40 mile there, puttered around the woods for a few hours and drove back home, all with a cool gear stick.

Could it have been that simple, and has anyone else had a similar experience?

Silverbake.

i only have the left side of the lever illuminated and it does get very hot. You cant touch the letters for more then a few seconds.

Just a guess but someone might have accidently replaced them with stronger ones on yours....who knows. They dont have a use anyways.......

• 3 weeks later...