Discovery TD5 - Passenger Rear Window Leak (not alpine!)

rjsdavis

Hi there

I've sourced a window leak in the rear offside passenger door window. Despite opening and closing it with the window controller, and despite it appearing to fully close, whenever we travel at motorway speed (60-80mph) - there is a very audible wind whistling.

It is actually coming from the where the top corner meets the black part of the frame where the fixed part of the door window is (at the very top of the door). It's only on the one side too.

When you hold your fingers near this joint, whilst travelling at these sorts of speeds, you can really feel the air coming in. Also - whenever you pressure wash water on this window, at this joint, it always penetrates the joint and drips down the inside of the glass.

Now it's not a major problem, as rain water doesn't penetrate it - however, I would like to to fix it. The only thing I can think of is that the seal from the inside of the window frame is knackered and poorly fitting when the glass is fully raised, thus allowing this small gap - but before going to the expense of buying a new window seal, is there anything else it can be?

Can't find another mention of this particular problem - only alpine and sunroof leaks - any help / suggestions, are very much appreciated.

I'm not familiar with your window setup, but is there any way you can pack a shim of vinyl or cardboard behind the seal as a temporary fix as well as pinning it down conclusively?

We used to do this on domestic refrigerator doors years ago, except the cardboard strips had been varnished.

I'm not familiar with your window setup, but is there any way you can pack a shim of vinyl or cardboard behind the seal as a temporary fix as well as pinning it down conclusively?

We used to do this on domestic refrigerator doors years ago, except the cardboard strips had been varnished.

Thanks for this - have already done this as a very temporary stop gap. Still need to get to the bottom of the fix though...