Guess the weight

FridgeFreezer

At what point does the vehicle get weighed? not on the rolling road, as that's a brake efficiency/balance check.

Les.

If a car is tested on an ALT ramp (as part of a one man testing lane) the shaker-plates weigh the car and give you a kerbside weight to use to calculate the brake effeciency.

A roller brake tester needs to know the axle weights to work out the efficiency. Eg if a wheel produces 300kgs of brake force and has 400kgs of weight on it, efficiency is 75%. I'd assumed they'd need to weigh it each time rather than use a lookup table - that's what we do with buses anyway.

It's worth while asking if the weigh bridge has been claibrated recently. We used one on a farm that turned out to be wayyyyy out. Then used on that had been calibrated the week before. Some thing like 150 KG differance between the calibrated and the dodgy one.

Adrian

its calibrated regularly, used for commercial grain sales - it knows if you are holding a cup of coffee or not.

:)

A roller brake tester needs to know the axle weights to work out the efficiency. Eg if a wheel produces 300kgs of brake force and has 400kgs of weight on it, efficiency is 75%. I'd assumed they'd need to weigh it each time rather than use a lookup table - that's what we do with buses anyway.

I used to do training for the MOT computerisation scheme, and saw a lot of different garages (6 months of 5 garages per week) and yes there were a couple of sites which had funky 4-wheel rollers and weighed the vehicle before testing, but it was very rare (maybe 3-4 had these installed....?). Nowadays the MOT computer gives a standard weight for the vehicle from a database and it is tested against that for braking efficiency -the tester doesn't even need to enter a weight, although they can override if needs be. Previously it was done manually with a chart and a calculator(!)

Thinking about it, I only saw one place with a 'plate brake tester' -even more rare.

I guess busses/class 7 etc are different :huh: