Strange....clutch switch

Hi, I have a 2004 Land Rover Defender 90 and today I discovered a strange thing.

Well, the clutch switch appears to be disconnected even if it is mounted in its correct position.

That is:

- with a tester I checked that the pedal switch on the clutch master is working fine (closed in rest position and open when the pedal is pressed)

- but the connector (C0667) appears to be stand alone: the pin 2 in not connected to earth and the pin 1 (the black-white cable) with the pin 35 of ECM is open that is the circuit between pin1 and pin 35 is open.

In fact when I tested it by Nanocom the clutch switch state remains unchanged when you press the clutch pedal.

It seems that Land Rover left this connector disconnected !!!!

Have anyone any idea about that ????

Thanks a lot.

Bye.

shows the connector as part of the main wiring, no idea where it goes though as my 110 is much earler without all these lekkie bits all over the place.

As you can see in attachment I followed what Land Rover says and I tested if there was signal continuity between C0667-1 and C0658-35 and the result is an open circuit !!!!

post-9391-1241267174_thumb.png

Found this in the circuit diagrams. highlighted in Orange

the black wire on C0667-2 goes to Header 0286 [C0286-20] so could have a broken connection at the header or the switch itself is dead.

Wow, this information slipped my mind, thanks a lot !!!

...but the C0667-1 is directly connected to ECM, isn't it ???

Yep onto connection C0658-35 as you noted above in your original post & your reply. [ the -35 is the ECM pin number]

So there are only two answers:

1) the C0667 connector is defective (so to test it I have to cut wires and test connection to earth and to ECM)

2) Land Rover decided to not connect for unknown reasons this switch to ECM

or he switch itself is faulty or the black wire to header 0286 pin 20 is not connected or the wire is broken within the wiring loom

The switch on the clutch master cylinder is working...I tested it.

So, because of either wires are disconnected I think that there are only two possibilities:

1) all the wires are broken

2) the C0667 is broken.....but I'm afraid of 1)

Sorry if I'm annoying ...but is it possible that wires such these ones could be broken without reason ???

Many thanks.

as you have continuity checked the 2 wires & found a good result I doubt they are broken inside the connector plug,

have you found the ECM & header end of each wire ? if possible try a continuity test from the switch end to the ecm & header end of each, that will confirm the wires are complete & not broken.

what happens if you earth the C0667-2 BLACK wire ?

does the circuit work ?

if not maybe the ECM has a fault on that cicuit.

does the engine surge while making a gear change when the clutch is down ?

I don't know the Td5 electrics very well, so if these checks don't give good result, I not sure where to look next.

as you have continuity checked the 2 wires & found a good result I doubt they are broken inside the connector plug,

have you found the ECM & header end of each wire ? if possible try a continuity test from the switch end to the ecm & header end of each, that will confirm the wires are complete & not broken.

what happens if you earth the C0667-2 BLACK wire ?

does the circuit work ?

if not maybe the ECM has a fault on that cicuit.

does the engine surge while making a gear change when the clutch is down ?

I don't know the Td5 electrics very well, so if these checks don't give good result, I not sure where to look next.

Now I'll make other tests but about continuity: as I told there is no continuity between C0667-1 BW wire and ECM so I think that it is interrupted in some place but where ??? boh !!!

....even if this thing is very strange ....!

try running a 2 new wires from the clutch pedal switch to the ECM & earth this will bypass the existing wire & eliminate any possible broken wire section

I was thinking to do this...Do you know where I can find connectors for ECM and a new C0667 ???

Thanks a lot....

there may be a makers name &/or part number [but not a land rover part number] on the connectors [may need a magifying glass to read it] but sometime they don't put anything on them.

I don't know which company made the wiring for Td5 models, but it could be Rists or Tyco.

Is the disconnected switch causing any problem or is it something that you have just noticed ?

Reason i ask is that i thought that the clutch switch was only used with cruise control which you probably won't have.

I think that I have always driven my Defender without this switch working....

I noticed it connecting my mechanic Nanocom that shows the clutch switch always OFF even if you press and release the pedal but I felt no difference during this long period....

What is surprising me is that the wire from C0667 to ECM is interrupted in some place, that is this wire is not continuous from switch to ECM but from workshop manuals it is not possible to understand where this wire could be truncated.....

Thanks to all of you for interest.

I think that I have always driven my Defender without this switch working....

I noticed it connecting my mechanic Nanocom that shows the clutch switch always OFF even if you press and release the pedal but I felt no difference during this long period....

What is surprising me is that the wire from C0667 to ECM is interrupted in some place, that is this wire is not continuous from switch to ECM but from workshop manuals it is not possible to understand where this wire could be truncated.....

Thanks to all of you for interest.

Yeah pin 35 on the ecu should connect to pin 1 on the switch using a back and white wire. The black wire should be connected to earth i think.

Look at 20.1

electrical_20schemes_20__20defender_20td5_20_1999_.pdf

• 8 months later...