Piston Broke

Managed to burn 4 litres of Castrol's finest in about 200 miles......and she was sounding as rough as a chain-smoking dawg......so took her to the menders....and the news is not good.

At 134,500 miles...there is a chunk out of one of the pistons resulting in no compression in cylinder 7 and cylinder 6 (at least i think it was 6). The old girl is currently in bits awaiting a full new set of cylinders and a general rebuild. Should get it back by the end of the week tho, at fantasmagorical cost :o . On the upside, at least I will get 33% more power than running on six cylinders, and should use less oil, and maybe even a little less fuel :huh: .

On the downside, the completely-packed ready-to-roll-for-the-family-camping-weekend trailer (which I had spent about a day fixing and making ready-to-roll) had to be emptied out and re-packed into the XJ6.....

Hey ho. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Went to garage, saw octopistonlets........that's 8 shiny new pistons to you and I.

Forecast is that she will be back with me by Wednesday, hopefully with a new MOT too. So that is definitely brighter.

And I have invented a new word. So a good day all round! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

She is back :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Been off the road 3 weeks, 8 new pistons and gawd alone knows what else :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Lord alone knows what the bill will be :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

And complete with a fresh MOT ! ! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Going out for a blast now, updates later !!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)