tyres rubbing a teeny bit...

Having plunged in and fitted scorpion muds - 285 x 75 x16 to the td5 90, there's a slight rub on the back when cornering enthusiastically, especially with a load of weight on. I find the 90 springs a little soft, with plenty of body roll anyway ( done 80K miles). My question is, do I really have to lift - I don't really want to - and if so, will +1" do the trick? - especially if I'm prepared to do a teeny bit of cutting as well - and in which case, where to cut, how much and neatest way? - anyone done all this? ( I do know that with +2". the tyres rides up nicely clear of the outer arch)

cheers

ppl

ooh p.s. - do pirelli scorpions wear out fast with road use? - they seem to be a great deal softer compound than the BFGs

I would say get yourself a set of Land Rover HD springs all round. They're a bit stiffer and will raise the truck about an inch, and your getting proper OE quality

I think you need NRC9448 on the front and NRC9462 on the rear (ignoring the handedness of the springs)

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html

As for the scraping, have a look for witness marks?

Hello - I have a 2 inch lift and am running 235/85/16's - macho fromt, colway my rear and once the stops were adjusted they seem fine

i assume the consumption with mt tyres is higher but they look great

PS

also- have found goodrich at's at reasonable price on black circles so they may be next replacement despite sacrifice of mud traction - 105 incl vat fitted

cheers chrisp

Hello - I have a 2 inch lift and am running 235/85/16's - macho fromt, colway my rear and once the stops were adjusted they seem fine

i assume the consumption with mt tyres is higher but they look great

PS

also- have found goodrich at's at reasonable price on black circles so they may be next replacement despite sacrifice of mud traction - 105 incl vat fitted

cheers chrisp

that is a good price!- I paid 125 each just 5K miles ago!

I would say get yourself a set of Land Rover HD springs all round. They're a bit stiffer and will raise the truck about an inch, and your getting proper OE quality

I think you need NRC9448 on the front and NRC9462 on the rear (ignoring the handedness of the springs)

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html

As for the scraping, have a look for witness marks?

thanks - had even toyed with aiming at some OMEs, one day. as mine seems a little soft - though not saggy, I did wonder whether the springs are past the [prime of life, same as me...

was Arathorn your dad?

First of all check the height you are at now. Measure between top and bottom spring mount. Standard height is ~260mm

A 33" tyre should not rub on road, but will off road on standard height springs. Fitting 1" lift will be more than ample if you don't want them to rub off road. If you fit a lift it might be a good idea to calm your cornering technique too.

What wheels do you have them fitted to? Have you adjusted you lock stops? If not you probably find them rubbing on your front radius arms which is an MOT failure.

Cheers

Steve

First of all check the height you are at now. Measure between top and bottom spring mount. Standard height is ~260mm

A 33" tyre should not rub on road, but will off road on standard height springs. Fitting 1" lift will be more than ample if you don't want them to rub off road. If you fit a lift it might be a good idea to calm your cornering technique too.

What wheels do you have them fitted to? Have you adjusted you lock stops? If not you probably find them rubbing on your front radius arms which is an MOT failure.

Cheers

Steve

fitted to an ordinary set of steel modulars - haven't measured the offset yet. The rubbing is actually ocurring at the corners of the wheel arch extensions (standard td5 ones) at the mo. However, this weekend i have to do some experimenting with ramps and jacks to see if (when that's dealt with) the wheels will ride up inside the arches OK. Also, with some lock on, the tyres look very close to the front extensions. Will measure current spring height at weekend, though if they have gone a bit saggy, it's very even, in that the vehicle sits level enough. I'd be happy if a 1" lift did the trick. Apart from that, I'm very pleased indeed - the interesting thing is that the ride on country roads is loads, loads better! the car goes where you point it, bumpsteers far less, doesn't leap about on very bumpy roads (still tramps a bit 'cos new shockers needed) - overall, the suspension actually behaves a lot better! What is mysterious to me is that there seems to be a great deal less body roll - i don't know how that could be, but it most definately feels that way. All in all, having a wider track seems to improve the on-road behaviour and stability of a 90.

On the gearing issue, although the acceleration is ever so slightly less perky, overall this has the effect of making the throttle response slightly smoother - this could be due to the increased weight of the wheels as well as the gearing (there's only an inch difference in diameter, actually). I'd certainly recommend experimenting with wheel combinations. Oh, and yes, i do need to do the lock stops a bit (not much)

further to this: - I've used a fine blade on the jigsaw, and trimmed the plastic wheelarch extensions a little. A spot of green laning, with some enthusiastic bouncing through a couple of defender-size troughs, seems to confirm the tyres no longer rubbing. I've yet to try some serious pay'n'play, so can't be sure under extreme articulation. Generally, though, for 'normal use', a td5 defender will, with just a little adjustment of lockstops and plastic arch trimming (very gentle), happily accomodate 285x75 16s without a lift, in case you're wondering. again, I'd emphasise that the vehicle feels way more stable on the road