Few questions about disco transfer box onto defender?

hammoj28

I need some help.........

Im looking at buying a discovery 200tdi transfer box to fit to my defender as mine needs replacing and iv heard the ratios are better.

However, me knowing nowt about discos.

Is it a straight swap onto my 1993 defender with an LT77 box.

Do discos have diff lock so i can link everything up the same as it was on the defender?

Just wanted to know if I have to change/modify anything to make it fit?

Any info would be much appreciated. I have done a search, but wanted to ask these specific questions to confirm.

Thanks

James.

They both use an LT230 transfer box so they should be straight swap. It was only the Disco II that they started messing around with "optional" diff lock.

You might find it too high geared though as a Disco will be a 1.2 ratio, depends on your engine and tyre size.

you can buy ANY disco 1 transfer box (auto or manual) and certain Disco2 boxes (the later D2 boxes dont have diff lock)

I'd go for a TXB thats >1994 as these will tend to have the crossdrilled input gear, stopping them wearing out the mainshaft.

I just picked up a D2 LT230Q from a V8 Auto from ebay for 90 quid, D1 boxes tend to go for a bit less.

Cheers guys.

Its a 3.9 v8, range rover LT77 manual box and defender 200tdi axles.

Was hoping for a bit more tops speed but without sacraficing acceleration too much.

THe transfer box i know of is from a 200tdi so I assume its an early one with diffock....

What transfer box do I need then? I notice you say it may be too high geared? You mean geared for acceleration? I tohught discos were al longer geared for better crusing speeds?