Electrical gremlins

Hi there.

Just thought I would drop a query on here in case someone has had the same experience although as it is electrical, I think everyone has all sorts!

Basically when I hit the brake, the side lights, number plate light and dashboard lights come on!

It is a 1987 motor.

Will go and do some checks today but in case I come up with nothing, would be interesting to see if any suggestions.

I did change 1 rear brake bulb recently. Can't say I noticed if I had the problem before the bulb change.

Also had the dash off briefly recently as well.

Will therefore maybe remove the bulb and see if that fixes issue. Will also check behind dash to see if any lose connection etc.

Any other info gratefully received.

Hi.

Sounds like it could be a bad earth in the tail ligts. before taking the dash appart i would clean all the earth connection at the back.

hth

Edd

Either that [earths] as Edd says or a faulty stop/tail bulb.

I'll go for earths.All black wires by the tail lights.All connectors to check and remove the screw that holds the earth to the body and clean.

I eat rat poison,at last they have sorted my dosage

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house.

Hi there.

Just thought I would drop a query on here in case someone has had the same experience although as it is electrical, I think everyone has all sorts!

Basically when I hit the brake, the side lights, number plate light and dashboard lights come on!

It is a 1987 motor.

Will go and do some checks today but in case I come up with nothing, would be interesting to see if any suggestions.

I did change 1 rear brake bulb recently. Can't say I noticed if I had the problem before the bulb change.

Also had the dash off briefly recently as well.

Will therefore maybe remove the bulb and see if that fixes issue. Will also check behind dash to see if any lose connection etc.

Any other info gratefully received.

I'd put money on the cause being that when you've replaced the brake light you've used a single filament sidelight bulb instead of a brake / taillight twin filament...

When you press the brake you're sending power up to the sidelight circuit as the single sidelight bulb has now effecttively crossed the two circuits.

Try changing the bulb for the right one and see.

Cheers,

Matt

Full points to Matt.

My mate who replaced the bulb did in fact put a sidelight single filament bulb in. It did therefore short across the 2 terminals so light the sidelights when brake pressed.

Thankfully that was my first check so not much time wasted sorting it and quite nice to know it was that easy!

Moral, don't start playing with more things when tired, late and long journey home!

Thanks anyway.

Get in there Matt that was good going, would you mind popping over, heres another - where does my rover leak from/to?

Matt,

Can I have a stab at answering your query? Generally, Land Rovers leak from the Factory all the way through life to the Scrapyard. :P

Sorry for being flipant, mines the same and its disgraceful considering it is such a basic requirement <_<

Matt,

Can I have a stab at answering your query? Generally, Land Rovers leak from the Factory all the way through life to the Scrapyard. :P

Sorry for being flipant, mines the same and its disgraceful considering it is such a basic requirement <_<

:D:D:D:D

James - I'll have another go seeing as Dan stole my thunder ;)

At a guess I'd say that your Landy leaks from the top to the bottom..... generally :P

Matt

:D:D:D:D

James - I'll have another go seeing as Dan stole my thunder ;)

At a guess I'd say that your Landy leaks from the top to the bottom..... generally :P

Matt

Unless of course you drive through a puddle in which case it leaks from the bottom up!! :P