2ootdi compression

Hi.

Ive got a defender 200tdi engine (bought off a friend who insits its a good runner) that I am planning to fit to my 1983 110 (the 2.1/4 diesle is a little under-powered!).

Whilst the engine is waiting to go in I have decided to do the usual cambelt change and also change the waterpump as it has a litttle play. I am also probably going to change the head gasket as well jsut to be shure.

Anyway back on topic.. with the engine on a stand cranking it over from the front pully there is no compression. :( I have taken the rocker cover off and the valve clearances are ok and they all work.

As you spin the engine there is th sound of air comming from the injector pump. (could this be where the preasure is being lost??)

Also is there anything else I should change whilst the engine is out (it needs to be reliable as im converting the 110 to an expedition veichle)

Any help greatfully recived.

Edd

By the way, only came accross this forum the other week and it seems a very friendly place where lots of good information is shared. Cheers and keep up the good work.

It's fairly easy to turn over a 200TDi from the crank pulley, you won't get a good feel for compression as there's no way you can turn it fast enough by hand,

how long since it last run ?

was it using any oil or water?

if you do change the head gasket get the cylinder head skimmed & pressure/crack tested.

a well looked after 200Tdi should see 250000 + miles fairly easily with out major problems.

Are you sure about that western? I haven't manually turned my 200TDi but the 2.25s you can feel the compression, you have to bump over it on the starting handle, I think the 2.5 in the garage is the same.

I'd expect to feel resistance building up, from my admitedly limited experience.

Air coming from the pump is probably the feul return line?

It's not that difficult to start the engine outside of the car for a diesel, all you need is a bit of 12 volt to the injector pump you can probably skip the glow plugs, only when it's really cold are they needed. And a jerry can of diesel and then 12 volts to the starter motor

Of course you will need to strap it down some how otherwise I think you might find it will flip over or some other varient!

jerry can->feul filter->normal feul stuff->return pipe to jerry can or bucket

12volts->injector pump solendoid (pull wire to kill engine)

->heavy duty connections to starter motor

->light line to starter soleniod, momentary contact to spin starter.

It might take a bit to bleed the feul through, never done a 200TDi, but the hand pump is probabably a good start and then you might just get away with cranking it to bleed through the injector pump and injectors.

It's fairly easy to turn over a 200TDi from the crank pulley, you won't get a good feel for compression as there's no way you can turn it fast enough by hand,

Well maybe not that easy, but Yes thinking about it you can feel the compression on each cylinder while turning it over,