problems with 200/300tdi engine

nightrider

my 200tdi disco has started to rattle badly when hot (metalic noise like a worn camshaft) it doesnt do it when cold i run it on used vegetable oil which is heated . I have recently bought a 300 tdi disco, i have twin tanked this one so it starts on diesel and turns over to veggie oil when warm. This one has developed the same rattle when hot. Do you think this is caused by running on veggie oil or just coinsidence. I have changed the injectors in the 200tdi which made no difference. Does any one know what it is. Plenty of people have run these discos on veggie oil with no problems. :(:(

I would check tappets first (the gap can close up as the engine warms up/metal expands), so zero tappet gap once the engine is up to temperature. A worn vaccuum pump will rattle as well, or maye timing belt tensioner/idler wheel.

Les.

Hi, I might be wrong about this, but somebdy will correct me, does'nt the injector fuel pump use something in the diesel to lubricate itself and is it in the veggie oil ???. hope this helps and gets more replies to help solve it.

• 2 weeks later...
Ive run it back on diesel but it still rattles

Are you getting your fuel from a known good supplier?

I just say this as there are a few main street fuel stations (normally private operated by one family if you get the idea) that might provide dodgy fuel.