replacement alternator

Hi there, I need some help, as a newish Land rover owner, I am coming to terms with all the things that will keep me out of the house and under the bonnet.

I think I need to replace the alternator on my 2.5td 110 county as the output drops as soon as I put main beam on and I get the glow plug light glowing gently which I guess is telling me I am drawing from the battery and not from the alternator. I have checked the belt, it had been loose but is now correct. Also, I have noticed that if I am driving at night and the charge is in the red, my temp needle creeps up a little, into the black band beyond the white. If I stop and apply the handbrake, no foot brake and go into neutral and knock the main beams off, the charge rises and the temp needle falls. I have done this several times and it is the same each time. Is there an electrical reason why the temp guage is being affected ( I don't think it is the water pump since the belts are working at the right tension)?

It is a non a/c but I want to unprate the output from the normal 45 amp to 85 or 90. Can anyone assist in advising which alternator I need to buy. I have had a look at the wiring and on the factory fitted unit, it is a multi plug in to the alternator...not posts and blades.

Any help to get the right unit is most welcome.

you can either have the existing alternator reconditioned & tested or replace with a 65amp variant but you will need tp upgrade the wiring from alternator to the battery & stater [the brown thick wires]

for a 65amp alternator you need a Lucas 24220 A127-65/lLR part RTC5680 unit

the existing pulley & belt is common to both 45 & 65 amp alternators.

craddocks/paddocks/brookwells & other LR independents should be able to source & supply.

I got a metro alternator from the scrapyard that had the same fitment, gives me 70 amps :)

Take your old one to your local scrappy and see if they can match it up to anything. Should be able to save yourself some money over a new/recon unit if you want to, mine was £23.50 and came with a 12 week warranty too.

you can either have the existing alternator reconditioned & tested or replace with a 65amp variant but you will need tp upgrade the wiring from alternator to the battery & stater [the brown thick wires]

for a 65amp alternator you need a Lucas 24220 A127-65/lLR part RTC5680 unit

the existing pulley & belt is common to both 45 & 65 amp alternators.

craddocks/paddocks/brookwells & other LR independents should be able to source & supply.

Thanks, I am thinking that if the alternator is under performing through age, I might as well replace with a 45 amp as I am not fitting anything else to draw power.

i have a line on a replacement part and may be able to have it fitted...