Series IIa - no drive...

Paddy_SP

My Good Lady and I just bought her 15-year old son a Series IIa so that he can learn about mechanics and have a vehicle to be proud of when he passes his test... The first problem to overcome is that there is no drive to the rear. The prop goes round, but doesn't move the vehicle... The front prop is off, awaiting new UJs, so this means we can't move it anywhere. Now I know quite a lot about Defenders, and a little about Discos, but nothing at all about Series Landy's, so my question is what usually breaks back there? As ever, any help would be much appreciated! :)

Or you have a stripped drive member. This is the bit visible in the centre of the wheel. It bolts to the hub with the 5 or 6 hex headed screws you can see. The centre is splined to fit the end of the halfshaft. It thus transmits the drive from the half shaft to the hub, to which the wheel is fixed with the normal wheel nuts.

You will be sponsoring his membership of the Series 2 Club then? Where he can ask his own questions on the Forum, research in the Tech Library, read what others get up to, and get his very own glossy magazine!!

Cheers.

I have only broken one of my IIa's diffs, and that was pulling away very gently on tarmac, up a slight incline, I suddenly had no drive. On taking apart it appeared that all the bolts holding the crownwheel onto the cage had sheared off. Talking to other people this is not an uncommon way for them to fail, and is essentially down to age. I have also managed to snap a halfshaft whilst driving slowly on flat tarmac, again just due to the age of the material, so I wouldn't rule that out.

drive flanges are an easy first place to check though - if they are ok, pull the half shafts. If they are both OK, then time to have the diff out.

hth

Mark

I have only broken one of my IIa's diffs, and that was pulling away very gently on tarmac, up a slight incline, I suddenly had no drive. On taking apart it appeared that all the bolts holding the crownwheel onto the cage had sheared off. Talking to other people this is not an uncommon way for them to fail, and is essentially down to age. I have also managed to snap a halfshaft whilst driving slowly on flat tarmac, again just due to the age of the material, so I wouldn't rule that out.

drive flanges are an easy first place to check though - if they are ok, pull the half shafts. If they are both OK, then time to have the diff out.

hth

Mark

I just checked the drive flange on the left-hand rear wheel - it was fine, if a bit loose. When I checked the half-shaft, however, I found that it does not seem to engage with the diff, so this must be the cause. When I tried to pull it out though, it refused to budge - even with a pair of pry-bars behind the drive flange... I'm wondering if the broken end has burred over and won't clear the splines - any ideas as to how I can pull the shaft out?

I've now removed the driver's side half-shaft, but the other one is still stuck solid. I've tried sliding a bar through from the other end to knock it out, but it seems to be catching in the diff, even though it's quite a bit narrower than the half-shaft. What size is the hole in the diff? Is it the same size as a Defender? If so, I'll go and measure my old one!