Stuck half-shaft?

Paddy_SP

The left rear half-shaft on my 15-year old step-son's Series IIa has failed, but in spite of repeated attempts, it won't come out. I've tried using pry-bars to lever it out, but it still won't move - the other one more or less fell out. I'm therefore assuming that the failure has caused some kind of burring which it is now catching on. My concern is whether a slide-hammer will just jam it further. Any ideas anyone?

It sould be fine, its already broken so its proberly worth a go.....The other thing you could try is a dirty long pole though the side you have already removed through the center of the diff and hit the shaft from behind if that makes sense?

p.s. It sounds that it might be twisted so maybe the diff has gone?

Dave.

if the half shaft has failed i would have thought it would come out easily as only the stiction of the gasket / sealant is holding it, i had something similar with a lorry where the diff failed and locked solid, the one half shaft just slid out but the other was wound up, try chocking the wheels and jacking the affected wheel up, release the handbrake and then trying it

Many thanks for the replies! The shaft is not bound up as I can rattle it about, but when I try to withdraw it, something is catching. Whatever it is must be pretty solid, as I can't move the shaft even with two pry-bars in behind the drive flange and levered off the wheel nuts...:(

There is a cross shaft in the diff carrier that holds the spider gears in place that will prevent you from knocking the broken shaft out from the opposite side. That method only works on Salisbury type diffs. It;s difficult to explain without photos but the method I used on numerous occasions to remove stuck halfshafts is to refit the drive flange on back to front to give enough space between the hub and drive flange to insert plain nuts between them. Then poke 3 long thread 3/8'' BSF bolts through every second bolt hole in the drive flange and thread the nuts onto them. Then screw the bolts into the threaded holes in the wheel hub. By holding the head of the bolt stationary with a spanner turn the nuts further on in the direction of the bolt heads.The force of the 3 nuts pushing against the drive flange has never failed tp remove stuck halfshafts .

Sorry but I can't remember the length of the bolts I use as they were lost awhile ago.

Bill

It's difficult to explain without photos but the method I used on numerous occasions to remove stuck halfshafts is to refit the drive flange on back to front to give enough space between the hub and drive flange to insert plain nuts between them. Then poke 3 long thread 3/8'' BSF bolts through every second bolt hole in the drive flange and thread the nuts onto them. Then screw the bolts into the threaded holes in the wheel hub. By holding the head of the bolt stationary with a spanner turn the nuts further on in the direction of the bolt heads.The force of the 3 nuts pushing against the drive flange has never failed tp remove stuck halfshafts. Sorry but I can't remember the length of the bolts I use as they were lost awhile ago.

Bill

Many thanks - that's good to hear, as it's exactly what I had in mind! :)

Well - that worked - the shaft eventually came out, but unfortunately in doing so it left the broken-off end in the diff... Rather than simply withdrawing it with an X-Eng style 'magnet on a stick', I'm going to strip the diff to remove any metallic debris.