Engine oil stains in my inlet manifold 200tdi

nickjaxe

Hi guys I have bought an old Disco (ebay) just for the engine 200tdi 93 model, I drove it home after buying it 70miles with not trace of smoke from the exh, and no fumes after taking the filler cap off the rocker cover engine running and nice and warm, the engine to me but I have never driven one before pulled very well,

But I am a bit concerned at the black engine oil coating the inside of the inlet manifold, I am wondering if this could be from the turbo as the outlet also has a coating of engine oil on it,

I wont be upset if it is the turbo as I am not using it,

So any ideas guys.

Nick.

The cyclone breather was fitted to try and seperate out the oil from the crank case fumes, if the 200tdi doesnt have one you'll most definitely get oil in the inlet from the breather.

I've never seen a turbo engine that doesnt have some oil in its inlet pipework. Perhaps if you go buy a brand new car, or one thats only a few years old, but any engine with a bit of mileage under its belt i'd expect to see oil in there. Its not a problem unless the turbo is humped and blowing a lot of oil past its seals, but seen as you drove it without any issues i dont see that this will be a problem.

I have the turbo/manifolds off as I wont be using them when I fit the engine in my S3 as a 200di,

I took a look at the turbo the other night after Les saying about worn bearing and sure enough I could reach in and found abnout 2/3 mm of lift in the spindel,

Would that account for the oil in the mouth of the inlet manifold,

Also does that mean the turbo is u/s as I was hoping to flog it, it showed no ill effects when driving it home after buying it.

Nick.

• 4 years later...
The cyclone breather was fitted to try and seperate out the oil from the crank case fumes, if the 200tdi doesnt have one you'll most definitely get oil in the inlet from the breather.

I've never seen a turbo engine that doesnt have some oil in its inlet pipework. Perhaps if you go buy a brand new car, or one thats only a few years old, but any engine with a bit of mileage under its belt i'd expect to see oil in there. Its not a problem unless the turbo is humped and blowing a lot of oil past its seals, but seen as you drove it without any issues i dont see that this will be a problem.

Just as an aside in case this post pops up with someone else searching...I have a 300tdi with almost 400,000kms on it and my inlet manifold is clean and dry with no oil residu at all.

(I found this thread by searching as I have a 200tdi with oil in the inlet and was wondering why also lol )

:)