disco td5 gear box compatible with 200tdi disco?

herdwick.

my disco 200tdi transfer box is long gone and the gear box is soon to follow (rattles and loud noise from the clutch side bearing)so thought to find a complete set of the two,found a td5 disco 2 gear box + transfer box, thing is the same r 380 on 300tdi but not sure, is it a straitforward swap ?need to fit my bellhousing and done or just forget about it?

thnx

dafnos

No it isn't. The basic R380 gearbox is the same as the 300Tdi version but the Td5 input shaft and bellhousing is different and anyway I don't think even a 300Tdi R380 will go straight into a 200 Discovery, though I am not 100% sure about that - it should go on to the engine and the clutch is the same, but I think the gear lever will be in the wrong place (different length bellhousings). If so, only OK if you want to cut another hole in the floor :)

i am sure the 200 bell housing is longer than a 300 r380 but i have no idea what the differances are betwean the 200 and td5 only the td5 is longer than the 300 but the shafts could be the same because the td5 bolts direct onto the engine block where as the tdis have a small bit of bellhousng on the engine

i've seen a disco 200tdi with the r380 (from 300tdi) gearbox and drove it,reverse is right and back instead of front and left on a lt77 200tdi original,but don't know how they did it,the gear lever is on the same place so no worries on the length, so forget the td5 and search for a r380 300tdi item?

the overall length of a disco 200tdi and a disco 300tdi box is the same afaik.

So they should be directly interchangable.

The TD5 box however is different. The input shaft splines are different as is the bellhousing.

You can use the D2 transfer box if you wanted, but you will need a TDi gearbox, not a TD5 one.