8274 Evo

white90

I've had a fair bit of over-volting experience one way or another.

It works kind of well with a series wound motor as the current draw is directly proportional to the load.

For a given load the amount of power lost in the motors resistance is 1/4 what it would be on 12v - so it will take longer to heat up under normal circumstances and should, if anything last longer.

The down side is that if you have the extra power - double the torque - and you use it - you will half the run time of the motor before it overheats.

On a permanent magnet motor, you would double the line speed as well - but you dont get quite double on a series wound motor for complicated reasons.

It is not uncommon in industrial applications to over-volt and limit the current to a maximum value such that it doesn't cook the motor.

You could do almost the same if you perhaps only used the motor in short bursts when it is heavily loaded - say 5 seconds winching and 5 seconds idle. This gives the same heat loading at full power as the 12v system at full power - but with almost the same average line speed as 12v, but with double the torque.

The bottom line is - if you are careful - it wont be a problem.

The best solution would be to use a clamp type meter to read the max current drawn by your winch. Leave it on there when you are using 24v and when the current gets above the max on 12v, start winching intermittently.

It wouldn't be rocket science to build a loop type current monitor that sets off a buzzer when you are exceeding the maximum - or even better if it were to beep on a combination of time & current so you know to give it a rest when it starts beeping.

Si

Si, but if you use 2 motors you half the load on each motor..... Plus, a narrower drum should help keep load down too. I'm not great at electrics (the smoke normally escapes ;) ) but, potentially, could a double 12V motor setup running 24V work pretty reliably for reasonably long times. I also guess using silver solder on the joints would help too. Hmmmm, this is could be very naughty; a 24hp 8274 :o

Si, but if you use 2 motors you half the load on each motor..... Plus, a narrower drum should help keep load down too. I'm not great at electrics (the smoke normally escapes ;) ) but, potentially, could a double 12V motor setup running 24V work pretty reliably for reasonably long times. I also guess using silver solder on the joints would help too. Hmmmm, this is could be very naughty; a 24hp 8274 :o

You are correct - but the same still applies. The winching duty cycle will need to reduce as the load increases. If you have the power/torque, chances are you will use it - at least until it lets the smoke out.

Si

You are correct - but the same still applies. The winching duty cycle will need to reduce as the load increases. If you have the power/torque, chances are you will use it - at least until it lets the smoke out.

Si

Well, it gives me something to think about. I think your idea of a current alarm would be a good move, though. At 800 A or so you'd have flat batteries in minutes let alone smokeless motors ......

Bush, does anything else tend to go? How long do they last in standard trim (just thinking about spares...)

Powering out isn't a prolem, that's already sorted courtecy of Mr Marsden's beautiful new drums

I'm not aware of anything else that goes.

Next year, at least one of the challenge winch series will introduce penalties for some winch modifications. None for safety related mods, but penalties if the motors are supported at the overhang end (ie large motors), free spool drums, etc, also restricting the number of spare motors.

Well, it gives me something to think about. I think your idea of a current alarm would be a good move, though. At 800 A or so you'd have flat batteries in minutes let alone smokeless motors ......

Your not restricted to 2 batteries and 1 alternator are you? :rolleyes:

Your not restricted to 2 batteries and 1 alternator are you? :rolleyes:

No the plan at the moment is a single 85 A alternator and Optima battery for the 12 V stuff (lights will be the biggest draw) and then a 24V alternator (60 A + would be nice) with a pair of BIG gel batteries. Not sure exatly what yet (probably something marine based) but I'll have to find somewhere to put them....