front o/s hub woe

OK, had no luck trying to do the quick-trick to fit the swivel seal (as in this thread) so being clever, I thought I'd whip the lot off and do it properly. Just as well I did. As soon as the drive flange came off, I found the bearing was so caked in mud and carp that I couldn't even see where to stick the hub spanner. OK, so in other words, just as well I took it off (and the other side will be coming off very soon to be checked).

Question is, was it so caked in carp because of my failed seal on the other side ? The inside of the actual main axle was fine so the carp doesn't appear to have migrated that way. The swivel housing seemed OK, not full of pish. Where could it have got into the main wheel bearings ?

I basically have to replace every seal and bearing in the hub now (not too big a problem I hope), but a couple questions if I may.

Firstly, do any of them require some mega-ton press to fit ?

And also, this seal has me worried (the picture isn't too clear, it's the one that seals the halfshaft/axle and the swivel). As above, there didn't appear to be any contamination in the axle, but as I move the axle in the seal (which wouldn't happen when fitted I hope), it flexes about and I'd think it could let carp through ? Or is it just that I have it out and am moving it about ?

Pics here

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/DkY...feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/1EK...feat=directlink

So, why caked in carp, press needed, and seal condition ? ;)

(and a daft question - wheel bearings, are they lubricated by the one-shot grease that goes in the swivel housing as well?)

Thanks for any advice, as always. (As always, Haynes fails a fair bit in this case)

Oh, and the brake pistons are very pitted and look awful. Easy to replace ? I see thisthread, and it looks pretty easy. Just concerned about the warnings at the top.. ;)

A

(some great threads already in the tech archive, above are more a "how the hell did this happen?!" :))

Great help here

Question is, was it so caked in carp because of my failed seal on the other side ? The inside of the actual main axle was fine so the carp doesn't appear to have migrated that way. The swivel housing seemed OK, not full of pish. Where could it have got into the main wheel bearings ?

No idea!

Firstly, do any of them require some mega-ton press to fit ?

Nope :)

(and a daft question - wheel bearings, are they lubricated by the one-shot grease that goes in the swivel housing as well?)

No - the bearings are packed with grease. Swivel oil / grease should stay in the swivel!

Oh, and the brake pistons are very pitted and look awful. Easy to replace ? I see thisthread, and it looks pretty easy. Just concerned about the warnings at the top.. ;)

The warnings are there for a reason - don't mess with your brakes unles you know what you are doing!! Having said that, replacing pistons is relatively straightforward. Just buy several sets of the thin metal dust covers as you will knacker several before you get one to seat properly!! :D

Thanks Bish - question, how often to people check/re-grease their wheel bearings ?

And, any particular type of grease I should use for this ?

Thanks

My little green owner's book doesn't specify a fixed interval, but "renew swivel pin oil" is every 24k miles, so perhaps that is a guide? You'd only really need to do it if you were takign things apart anyway (oil seals, etc.) Grease - LM grease on anything internal, pretty much.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh carp. I was just looking at some photos I took before doing this work, and I think I screwed up with this seal.

I fitted the new ones so the spring (or "open face" of the seal) is to the inside of the swivel, instead of the outside (along the halfshaft) as shown in the pic above.

Have I screwed up big time here ? I'd hope it doesn't make much of a difference ?

Oh carp. I was just looking at some photos I took before doing this work, and I think I screwed up with this seal.

I fitted the new ones so the spring (or "open face" of the seal) is to the inside of the swivel, instead of the outside (along the halfshaft) as shown in the pic above.

Have I screwed up big time here ? I'd hope it doesn't make much of a difference ?

You may get away with it IMHO. Although I'd be quite willing to accept otherwise if someone knows better. The only time it would matter would be if there was a build up of pressure inside the axle casing. With the seal fitted the way it was originally, any build up of pressure inside the axle would tend to "close" the seal onto the half shaft, with it the other way round pressure would "force" it open, allowing oil to pass. However, there shouldn't be any pressure build up in the axle if the axle breather is clear. If it was me I think I'd "suck it and see". Keep an eye out for leaks from your swivel housing as this may indicate that oil is seeping past the seal.

Going back to your question about how mud and carp could get into the outer wheel bearing. I think it could happen during wading. If your axle is hot/warm, immersing it in cooler water/mud would cause a vacuum as the hub quickly cooled, which could draw mud/water into the bearing. It could not have got in there from the axle side, as long as the axle oil is clean and not full of the same stuff. A word of warning though, are you sure it's mud and carp? Could you post a picture up or is it too late? Some greases turn a browny colour in use, maybe you're confusing that for mud/carp? Just a thought.

HTH.

Mark.

Yeah, a brown sludge so perhaps not actual mud after all. Wish I'd take a photo now (embarassment prevented more than anything). It was pretty awful in there !

On the sealing matter, this side that I know I definitely fitted it the wrong way round wasn't leaking before I replaced the swivel seal. And now it is. That's only been on a small trip round the block. It's not major, but I'll keep an eye on it. If I have to take it off because of the brake disc anyway, I'll replace it again-again.

Thanks markyboy - and anyone else got any views on the seal matter ?

Cheers

A