Front and rear axle

Hi all

I have a Defender 110 1995. After speaking to my local garage he recommended putting one shot swivel housing grease in instead of the EP90 oil.

Can anyone tell me if you can use this in the front and back axle as well because the back axle leaks. I've tried a new locking nut but it still leaks slightly. I wondered if this one shot stuff would help as it normally would use the same type of oil.

Thanks Royaub

no, 1 sachet of one shot grease only in each of the steering swivel balls, continue to use EP90 oil in the main axle casing or you'll be paying out for 2 diffs.

change the diff pinion seal & the hub seals of the ep90 is leaking out, cure the fault don't put it off as only more expense will be the result.

no, 1 sachet of one shot grease only in each of the steering swivel balls, continue to use EP90 oil in the main axle casing or you'll be paying out for 2 diffs.

change the diff pinion seal & the hub seals of the ep90 is leaking out, cure the fault don't put it off as only more expense will be the result.

Thanks for getting back to me. It's not leaking from the seals but through the Diff Drain Filler Plug. I fitted a new one but that does the same. I just wondered if this thicker grease would work.

Thanks anyway.

get some plumbers ptfe tape & a few wraps around the plug will stop the leak, sounds like it's been overtightened before & possibly deformed the hole/thread slightly.

the grease may well work but you'd need around 2 litres per axle, not a cheap move.

get some plumbers ptfe tape & a few wraps around the plug will stop the leak, sounds like it's been overtightened before & possibly deformed the hole/thread slightly.

the grease may well work but you'd need around 2 litres per axle, not a cheap move.

Cheers western I'll give the ptfe tape a try

Hi all

I have a Defender 110 1995. After speaking to my local garage he recommended putting one shot swivel housing grease in instead of the EP90 oil.

Can anyone tell me if you can use this in the front and back axle as well because the back axle leaks. I've tried a new locking nut but it still leaks slightly. I wondered if this one shot stuff would help as it normally would use the same type of oil.

Thanks Royaub

Thats a new one on me?? i wouldn't!

Think of what's happening in that tiny contact patch between the pinion and the crown wheel when cruising at 70mph :o

I would think that using the wrong lubricant in a diff would be bound to cause much wailing and gnashing of teeth in pretty short order!