The price of a 300Tdi Hard Top

Hey All,

I'm looking at buying another Land Rover to replace to one I currently own and have found this my only concern is doesn't this seem a little expensive, even given its low mileage?

There's a couple of other from the same dealer that have also taken my interest Clicky 1

Clicky 2

I'm fairly sure I'll end up getting one of the three. I know the information and pictures are limited on the links given but I'm just looking for a range of second opinions.

Any comments welcome,

Thanks,

Gavin

As Ralph says, a Tdi engine can still fetch a lot of money if it has been looked after. I wont tell you what I paid for my 1995 300 a couple of years ago! :o

By the looks of it, all three of them are ex-utility vehicles, which means that they will have been cared for mecahnically at least, very well.

If aesthetics is important to you, go and visit them, drive them all, and go for the one that feels right and looks the best.

HTH

Martin

If he offers a warranty and the usual dealer services then it may be worth it, but as I'm looking around myself at the moment you can buy cheaper 300Tdi 110's.

The 110's do seem to have noticably dropped in price in the last year, the 90's have not (which is what I'm after).

At the price of those three early TD5's are also appearing- although that might not be your thing.

I would never buy an Ex-Utility Land Rover. Gone are the days of maintaining for maintaining sake. These days all utilities are businesses like all others and treat vehicles as an expense/tool.

When it comes to disposing of them an over maintained vehicle will fetch the same as any other in an auction house.

Add that to the harsher environment that most have to work in your getting something that has had a hard life.

There are a few exceptions. Some companies will have vehicles that have hardly moved from site. Look for VERY low mileages. Apart from some heavy towing these will be good.

All of the BT 90's I have seen are good.

Avoid anything with chequerplate or a winch

Thanks for the advice so far. I had a look at all three and have ruled out the cheaper two as these seem to have had a harder life than the 6k one. I'm going back again tomorrow (Sunday) with a couple of friends to help me decide (plus they know more than me).

I know several people with Ex-Utility Land Rovers and haven't had any major problems other than can be expected with 10 year old Land Rovers. I like the idea that they have at least been maintained by professional mechanics from new and normally on or around the service intervals.

All of the BT 90's I have seen are good.

Unless the employees that use these are radically different to the rest of the company, having worked for BT for nearly 3 years and having seen the way most of the company vans are driven, I'd never touch an Ex-BT vehicle, but if you've had a good experience they can't be too bad!

Thanks again for the advice, I'll update with how things go after tomorrow.

Gavin

Update:

Well I took a second look at the 110 I had my eye on, took it for a drive and liked it even more. There are a few niggles I missed, but nothing that can't be sorted easily.

Anyway I've agreed a price, have paid a deposit and shall be collecting it later this week after it's been MOT'd.

Here it is as is at the moment, I'll update these photos as and when I make changes.

Thanks for the advice and comments,

Gavin

It's Ex-Severn Trent Water Board. Though your right the ladder racks is very BT, I see them every day in the yard at work. There's the chance (I not seen the service print out yet) that it may have been serviced by a BT Fleet garage, they tend to do a lot of the utility companies, eon, central networks, metering services and the local police and even the AA are all done at the yard where I'm based.