P38

Cyberfarmer

Hi! I am currently diagnosing a P38 4.6HSE (coil spring converted) and my problems right now are the ff:

1. When engine started, it will idle for a few moments and would die down.

2. It would only start again if you only take off one of any sensor plugs.

3. When revving engine it would go down first to 200 rpm then go up harshly and when foot is released it would seem to die down.

4. On ROVACOM diagnostics, it couldn't read any fault codes, readings are within parameter and still dies down.

Vehicle is in good operating condition prior to this dying problem. I tried replacing all possible sensors but to no avail. Spark plugs are new and cables.

Please help.

Thanks.

Hi! I am currently diagnosing a P38 4.6HSE (coil spring converted) and my problems right now are the ff:

1. When engine started, it will idle for a few moments and would die down.

2. It would only start again if you only take off one of any sensor plugs.

3. When revving engine it would go down first to 200 rpm then go up harshly and when foot is released it would seem to die down.

4. On ROVACOM diagnostics, it couldn't read any fault codes, readings are within parameter and still dies down.

Vehicle is in good operating condition prior to this dying problem. I tried replacing all possible sensors but to no avail. Spark plugs are new and cables.

Please help.

Thanks.

could be afuel pressure fault or injector or fuel filter fauls

if youtry to rev does it cut out quicker?

could be afuel pressure fault or injector or fuel filter fauls

if youtry to rev does it cut out quicker?

Sometimes yes. When I try to rev the engine up to 2500 rpm and decelarates the engine would almost cut out up to 300rpm or die but it wouldn't reach 700rpm at idle. The tech reading doesn't find any sensor fault.

The lack of fault code and the fact that you have changed most of the electrical side lead me to suspect fuel pressure too, and a pressure check may show a problem, but not necessarily if that problem is an inability to flow sufficiently. I think that my next move would be to check all of the fuel supply and return pipework for damage or kinks and replace the fuel filter - after that if it's still the same I would be looking at the fuel pressure regulator.

Sorry I can't be definitive, but I have never experienced the problems you describe. Hopefully somebody will be along soon who recognises this problem..

Roger

You say you have replace fuel pump and filter, how about fuel pressure regulator? Checked for fuel pressure? Changed air filter/tried with it off?

Yes i did replace fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure is within normal range. I haven't tried starting it without filter though. I let you know later. Thanks