Door locks

For my Christmas present I got a set of three suited (or is it sweeted) door lock barrels. They were really rather cheap but seemed reputable LR stuff. I had researched and all seemed about the same price. Put one in back (which was worst) and it was brilliant for about five months but is now pretty useless again. There seems little point in going to all the trouble with the front doors using the same barrels.

Can anyone recommend a better solution - either a specific make that is not made of cheap metal/chewing gum amalgam or other solutions. I am not security paranoid but simply trying to be sensible.

Thanks and best wishes

Malcy

How about adding a decent after-market remote central locking kit?

Would be interested to know what mke you used, especially after that amount of time. No probs with the existing locks but I'm missing the c/l and electric windows for that matter - LOL.

Cheers, H.

Would be interested to know what make you used .....

Cheers, H.

To be honest, it was that long ago I can't remember (other than that I got them off eBlagy) but I took a few pictures at the time and they look like the standard standard locking solenoids from almost anywhere - like these -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-2-Door-Cen...alenotsupported

ISTR I got a 2 door kit like the one above and then bought an extra single solenoid for the back door.

I cheated a bit because I used the existing alarm (it's a 2001 td5) and took an output from it to operate the locks when the immobiliser button is pressed on the keyfob.

I also added leccy windows at about the same time, again they were aftermarket ones but came with the proper fitting switches for the later 2002+ dash which I've also added to my 90.

Clive

Thanks for all the info on the CL - must look further into it, and sorry to hi-jack your thread Beastie!

For what it's worth I've had mine (1998 90) for a few months now - when I bought it it had had a full set of new genuine LR locks fitted, set the alarm bells ringing at first but HPI etc was all ok, so the one key does all three doors and the ignition. Dread to think what they cost though, but I did get it from the Birmingham area :closedeyes: