Drive Belt on D2

leeds

The drive/fan belt failed on the D2 last October when my partner was driving it. The AA come to the rescue and fitted an aftermarket belt bought at a local independent LR dealer.

The fan/drive belt failed again on Monday whilst my partner was leaving Billing and going over a speed hump at 5-8 mph. This belt had a maximum 8,000 miles since previous one went. This after market belt is 1 mm longer then a OEM. Can not see that being the cause of failure. The damage to the belt was concentrated on about a 3" section of the belt

So what things should be checked out?

Currently wondering about the tensioning pulley.

Regards

Brendan

When our A4 shredded its serpentine belt, it was because the bearing in the tensioner had failed and the tensioner pulley was running at a slanty angle.

Tensioner pulley has been changed. The old one felt weaker then the replacement one. Hope that cures the problem

Brendan

A word to the wise - make sure you have all the shredded belt. We had a case of a TD5 that broke its belt which somehow pushed itself past the front oil seal into the crankcase where it was shredded by the cam chain and blocked the strainer, causing the camshaft to seize. I posted pictures of the bits of rubber on here a while back.

I have since heard that a similar thing is on record with a Freelander engine, not sure which one though.

A friend of mine had the fanbelt go on his Megane which then managed to take out the cambelt too. I think that engine has a partly open cambelt cover unlike the Land Rover engines, but it's still worth checking that nothing else has been damaged by bits of flying belt (alternator etc).