PTFE tape on bleed valves?

ThreeSheds

I bought an Eezibleed kit to do the clutch and brakes and it works very well, but one "inconvenience" - especially when doing the clutch which necessitated me lying right under the cylinder - was the fluid leaking past the bleed-valve thread when I opened it 1/2 a turn.

So I did a little web-trawl for bleed-valves with some kind of seal (O ring perhaps?) that would prevent this.

I couldn't find any but along the way somewhere I found mention of using PTFE tape on bleed-valve threads. Does anyone do this or see any problems with it? It sounds like a good idea to me and might also stop them from seizing..

Roger

PTFE tape won't seal a thread that's been loosened.

I'm not sure about using PTFE tape on brake union threads, it may stop you tightening the screw fully onto its seat.

There is a bleed kit out there somewhere that sucks the fluid out of the bleed screws which should stop fluid leaking past the threads.

PTFE tape is used for sealing tapered threads - such as the differential filler plug. Is is not intended to seal a parallel thread like a bleed nipple which seals by means of using a pointy end which engages a seat cut into the calliper. While PTFE tape might work, it would, IMHO, compromise safety on a braking system.

Chris