Gearbox Problem...

edwardatherton

As I set off to go to the Cumbria Steam Gathering this weekend, there were some horrid screeching/scraping/grinding noises in 1st/2nd/3rd but not 4th.

I have been told that it is most likely one of the layshaft bearings, so I have a few questions about the job!

Can I remove the gearbox by itself without the overdrive or transfer box?

The overdrive and gearbox oil seem to find their way into the transfer box, so what seals do I need to replace to stop this?

Should I replace/check anything else while I am doing this job?

Thankyou!

There's an oil seal at the back of the gearbox to prevent oil getting out. I have the S1 Workshop manual here and it appears that there's not a corrsponding oil seal in the transfer box, like in the S3 box. Oil from the overdrive into the transfer box will be down to the seal in the O/D unit, as there's no other seal supposed to be there.

Les.

The seal is at the rear of the mainshaft and is housed in the main gearbox casing. As a result you need to remove the gearbox from the transfer box so the overdrive must be taken off.

The layshaft bearings are best done in pairs since if one is clapped then the other will have taken some abuse too.

With the box out I'd also do the output shaft seals front and rear as well, quick and cheap and superb access too. Good time to check the bearing preload on the transfer box at this time as the shims are already removed for seal replacement.

The main 3/4 synchro will virtually fall out of the box when the front cover is removed so take the time to change the synchro clips while you are in there too.

Better to take advantage of access while it is there. Not that I am trying to load you with work of course.

Hope this helps.