gwyn lewis vs. devon suspension kit

superfinder

Hi

I'm interested in a suspension kit from gwyn lewis or the one from devon for my defender 90 but i don't know which one i have to choose.

I'm planning to do some off-road travelling to africa yceland and uk in the near feature (heavy load).

I thank you in advance for the answers!

greetings

Jan Krauch

you will need to work out the weights etc.. you will be carrying on the vehicle front and rear them the suspension set up to match i.e light, medium or heavy duty. If your vehicle is going to be carrying alot of weight while abroad then not alot in the uk, you might have to go for assister springs or 2 different spring ratings to change between the 2 depending on weight carried.

Dan

Whichever of those two companies you decide on you will get excellent service and advice.

I think it really boils down to your own personal experience and choice. Call them both up, discuss your needs, see what they propose, then decide which one deserves your business.

i agree with bishboosh

phone them both up and explain what you want to do with the vehicle , and let them tell you what you need , i run gwyns kit and its well made , and also have devon gear , two top companys in my opinion

What I am doing is fitting the shocks outside the springs on both ends so I can put supplemental air-bags inside all 4 coils to stiffen things up when needed (like moving quick with a loaded rack) or on a nice smooth highway, or force articulation when say going up or down a really steep angle.

What air bags are you planning on using inside the coils?

I have a set of Air lift helper air bags on the rear of mine at the moment. None of the off the shelf relocation cones I've come accross will work with them, though there are ways round that. They are designed for load carrying at standard ride height, as a result they arn't long enough for lifted vehicles without adjusting the airbags seats and they don't have a lot of travel.

The normal red helper bags, I am not considering dislocation as an option I will be running retained top and bottom, IMHO the only solution to dislocation is fitting X-Springs in a similar configuration (on all 4 springs), but with airbags and variable pressure you could also run significantly softer springs and even retained they would stretch a whole lot more than the HD ones most run these days.