series 1 rear cross member

gsr341

hi , my neigbour has just bought a series 1 , that looks as if it has been used for trialing in its previous life , and because of this the rear cross member is just a lenth of box section .

he wants to change it back to an original looking cross member , but hasnt been able to find one , so asked me if the series2 rear cross member is the same ?

did a quick search and it looks as if the series 1 was quite a bit narrower than than the series 2 , am i right ?>

if so does any one know where he may be able to get a replacment rear cross member for a series 1 ?

cheers

Dafydd

did a quick search and it looks as if the series 1 was quite a bit narrower than than the series 2 , am i right ?>

if so does any one know where he may be able to get a replacment rear cross member for a series 1 ?

I am sure the S2 xmember fits though, the S1 xmember is curved where it gets wider and the stud pattern is similar plus some small details.

I am sure the S2 xmember fits though, the S1 xmember is curved where it gets wider and the stud pattern is similar plus some small details.

Series 2 will fit fine - my old 86" used to have one fitted. It is wider, so careful measuring needed to make sure there's not a gap between the rear tub mounts and tub! The shape along the bottom is different - squarer shape, and the drawbar mountings aren't there as on the S1 X-member.

Tell him to get a proper type - this is an addictive hobby, and he will regret saving money in a few years time when he decides he wants everything 'correct'!

• Like 1

Series 2 will fit fine - my old 86" used to have one fitted. It is wider, so careful measuring needed to make sure there's not a gap between the rear tub mounts and tub! The shape along the bottom is different - squarer shape, and the drawbar mountings aren't there as on the S1 X-member.

Tell him to get a proper type - this is an addictive hobby, and he will regret saving money in a few years time when he decides he wants everything 'correct'!

Try Carl and Dale Radford on 01346 531062. They make an exact copy of the rear x member to your chassis number and they are realy good quality. I wouldnt bother buying one from Craddocks it will rust away in a few years.

Edd

• Like 1