Where to auction

GBMUD

Right, that's it, the POS Freelender has to go. I was thinking about keeping it but the final nail is now in it's coffin. As well as being difficult to start from cold (new glowplugs fitted), the exhaust being on it's last legs (and being a swine to replace), the viscous unit (and possibly the IRD) needs replacing and now, having driven it in the rain, there is a problem with the electronics (I assume) meaning that half the time, when you put your foot down to accelerate the power just drops to nothing and it will not rev (stepper motor?). Lifting off and re-applying throttle gets it going again but you may have to do this several times to get a response. I can not be doing with it any further and I need to unload it - even at a huge loss.

Where does anyone think I will get the best price at auction? Brightwells at Leominster do a dedicated 4x4 auction every week so all the buyers going there are looking for 4x4s. I bought it at BCA Blackbushe and I have been told that at Blackbushe cars make more money than my local BCA, Bridgewater - only an hour and a half or so as opposed to two hours plus for the others. BCA only hold general, mixed sales.

FYI, the Freelander in question is a 1997 R XEDi (The 2.0 L-series diesel). It is cosmeticaly excelent, metalic red, has alloys, nice interior, sunroof, A/C, ABS, TC, HDC, CD Radio, twin airbags, knobs AND whistles. MOT until November and some tax. It also has many new parts including cylinder head, water pump and radiator - I know they will make NO difference to it's value, I am just feeling bitter. :(

What do you reckon?

Also, anyone near Trowbridge with a car trailer available to borrow? ;)

Chris

Chris,, I would check entry fees first !! think that will decide where to take it,,

Think you will find BCA quite expensive, privately

Exeter Husseys all ways use to be the end of the line, But got reasonable prices (Cornish crowd) would be my option same time for you as Blackbush !!

Have you plugged it in to see what the poor starting is when mine had issues the brain showed all the faults apart from the injector pump belt incorrectly fitted which was the problem.

A car with faults is worthless. :(

A mate has just bought a V6 es for £1500 due to no oil pressure on the engine he beet me to it on the bids but I would not have bid that high for a V6.

it is worth weighing up you could lose and have the next buyer on your back it may be better to get someone that knowes freelanders fix it then sell it.

Sodbury is comming up :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Just for closure on this whole episode, I took the Freelander to Exeter Car Auction this morning and left it there for them to sell for me. It is now gone and at a HUGE financial loss to me - not to mention the time I spent on it. I have learned a valuable lesson here; Caveat Emptor. On the bright side - and I am trying very hard to see a bright side at the moment - I would have lost more money if it had been a brand new one. It may have been less frustrating though.

Book closed on this one and time to move on. Thanks to everyone who offered advice and suggestions.

Chris

Have you plugged it in to see what the poor starting is when mine had issues the brain showed all the faults apart from the injector pump belt incorrectly fitted which was the problem.

A car with faults is worthless. :(

A mate has just bought a V6 es for £1500 due to no oil pressure on the engine he beet me to it on the bids but I would not have bid that high for a V6.

it is worth weighing up you could lose and have the next buyer on your back it may be better to get someone that knowes freelanders fix it then sell it.

Sodbury is comming up :ph34r:

Hope you get a decent price if I wasnt away from Devon visiting family i'd go along tomorrow and bid it up for you a bit!