Series Fuel Economy.....

tuko

There's more and more members here who have been converting their series vehicle to Tdi motors, even a number with Di conversions. Those of you that have done these conversions, how is your fuel economy these days?

The first tank in my hybrid with the 300Di conversion has netted 26.6 mpg with mostly all of that driving in town. I would say that no more than 70km/43miles of that was on the motor way. For the first tank I'm rather pleased with that figure and think that it can get even better with proper maintenance of the motor and with the overdrive engaged more often.

Todd.

Tuko,

That's not bad at all. I have the Ashcroft High range transferbox, 7.50 tires and 200TDI in a series 3. It does a consistent 7.8 miles to the liter (35.4 miles to the British gallon; 29.5 to the US gallon). Most of my driving is short trips around town at 30 mph or less, with occasional jaunts on the "A" roads at 60ish.

Ray

i get about 30mpg in town driving, and 40 on long motorway drives. First thing you need to do is put the Turbo and intercooler back on, that will drastically improve your fuel economy. Then fit either a high ratio transfer kit or the diffs from an early 10 spline range rover.

Been here, done it, seeing the benefits.

i get about 30mpg in town driving, and 40 on long motorway drives. First thing you need to do is put the Turbo and intercooler back on, that will drastically improve your fuel economy.

Only if heavy all-up weights or regular steep gradients result in you using lower gears because of lack of engine performance. In a lightly laden 88 used on relatively flat ground, not acclerating and stopping all the time, the turbo will cost you a small amount of fuel, not save it. Turbos increase air pressure to allow more fuel to be burnt per combustion stroke, nothing more.

I agree.

Also I'll add that legally I could not use the turbo setup because the hp rating exceeded the 10% limit here in Sweden.

Even without the turbo I'm very pleased with my Landy's performance, those who are none believer's really need to sit behind the wheel and try my Landy, it will surprise you.

Todd.

I agree.

Also I'll add that legally I could not use the turbo setup because the hp rating exceeded the 10% limit here in Sweden.

Even without the turbo I'm very pleased with my Landy's performance, those who are none believer's really need to sit behind the wheel and try my Landy, it will surprise you.

Todd.

Todd, I understand completely. It is a bit of a shame you can't use the turbo, but there is nothing wrong with a non-turbo diesel. I've seen quite a few DI conversions here and any one of them still beats the 2.25 in either diesel and gas forms. Glad to hear it is working out so great.

Ray