Short wheel base Series and 300TDI/Auto box

Pete Attryde

Just a wild idea at the moment, but as the Discovery is disolving faster than I can weld new bits of metal in, I am looking to replace it with something else but keep the engine and gearbox. I was wondering if this conversion (300TDI/Autbox/LT230 I would use the coiler axles but convert them to fit the chassis) has been done on an 88" Series or is it going to lead to a too short rear prop?

Pete.

But would this make the rear prop too short to be practical?

Pete.

Well it depends. You would probably get away with it if you were just using it for towing and a standard suspension setup. ( i've seen a few with props this short)

I recon you would be pushing it if you planned ot use it off road much, especially with paras. I think the standard prop shaft is about 55cm. So you would be reducing it down to just over the length of a ruler.

However something to remember, by fitting that engine and box. you could fit 3.5:1 diffs which will reduce the rpm of the prop. which is all good, if your only using it on the road!

Hope thats of some help, I'm sure some one will disagree though :P

Well it depends. You would probably get away with it if you were just using it for towing and a standard suspension setup. ( i've seen a few with props this short)

I recon you would be pushing it if you planned ot use it off road much, especially with paras. I think the standard prop shaft is about 55cm. So you would be reducing it down to just over the length of a ruler.

However something to remember, by fitting that engine and box. you could fit 3.5:1 diffs which will reduce the rpm of the prop. which is all good, if your only using it on the road!

Hope thats of some help, I'm sure some one will disagree though :P

Ok, sounds like I will have to go back to the original plan of making the Series body fit the Discovery chassis.

Many thanks,

Pete.

hi, i have a 300tdi auto in my 80, the rear prop is very short but i havnt had any major problems and thats offroad all the time! yours will be 8 inches longer than mine so it'd be fine, you'd probly have to have a 90 style front end to get the rad in, mines in the back so i didnt have that problem.

hamish