Autobox oil cooler

wall street

I have noticed that most people tend to mount their auto box cooler in the back with a fan. Is there any reason you couldn't mount a vertical cooler in front of the radiator in the space between the winch and the wing?

That way you would still benefit from the airflow created by the radiator fans and some (albeit limited) air cooling?

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Mud, by the sounds of things.

One of the main reasons for putting coolers/radiators in the back is to stop them getting clogged up with muddy and debris from wading.

Yes, that's the big problem. If you plan on mounting any coolers down low make sure they are the 'bog brush' type as they cope far better with mud.

I used to work for http://www.setrab.com and they did a compact oil cooler and fan assembly that created its own airflow and could be mounted away from the cruddy areas.

The website is a bit naff but you can get in touch and see if they still do the cooling packs (used to be fitetd to works Audi Quattro's).

There is loads of suppliers in the Uk you can get their parts from, I used James Lister Motorsport in Birmingham and Andy made me up a set of hydraulic hoses with adaptors from autobox to the front of tha rad and I mounted a Setrab oil cooler in front of the main radiator.

Just my two pence worth...

I used to work for http://www.setrab.com and they did a compact oil cooler and fan assembly that created its own airflow and could be mounted away from the cruddy areas.

The website is a bit naff but you can get in touch and see if they still do the cooling packs (used to be fitetd to works Audi Quattro's).

There is loads of suppliers in the Uk you can get their parts from, I used James Lister Motorsport in Birmingham and Andy made me up a set of hydraulic hoses with adaptors from autobox to the front of tha rad and I mounted a Setrab oil cooler in front of the main radiator.

Just my two pence worth...

I sell Setrab coolers and there are several suitable ones in their range for this job.

The position will depend a lot on your application but either way you will need a lot of airflow for them to work hence the fan on rear mounted ones.

For serious offroad then in the back with a big fan is probably the best - easy to plumb and well away from anything that could block it oe. mud

For heavy towing or high ambient temps. then infront of or behind the main cooling rad or intercooler is nest as you will get lots of airlow. Behind rad is ok as the air through the water rad will not pick up enogh heat that it is warmer than the auto cooler so will still cool.....

A water to oil heat exchanger is great for engine oil as it does not need to be in the airflow at all making fitting it an easier option but for auto trans cooling it is not so effective as there is less difference between the cooling water and the trans oil.

Plumbing to any cooler running ATF is best done in teflon.... there are a couple of hydraulic hoses that can cope but fuel / oil hose is not suitable. Use -6 ( or -8 depending on box ) stainless braided teflon - about £17 a metre and about the same for the fitting either end.....

Hope that helps - or if it makes no sense give me a call on 01938.850382 and I can explain better what I am on about

Many thanks

David