D2 V8 Fault Codes

jiginc

Hi,

Help please with a D2 V8 problem.

Had the engine on a Crypton CODEx analyser yesterday and it reported fault code P0134 O2 Sensor no activity detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1) .

However when I have checked it on a OBD II simple system same fault code but when looking at the data it gives;

O2 Sensor 1 , Bank 1 output 0.515v

O2 Sensor 1 Bank 2 output 0.565v

Are these not the signals it says have no activity?

These voltages vary as the engine is used.

Also the information says at start up it’s running open loop and it changes to closed loop which seems to indicate that it must be getting a signal from the Lambdas or it would stay on open loop.

Also the problem I am having lumpy running on LPG between 1000rpm and 2000rpm does not happen when on open loop.

jiginc

Hi,

Help please with a D2 V8 problem.

Had the engine on a Crypton CODEx analyser yesterday and it reported fault code P0134 O2 Sensor no activity detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1) .

However when I have checked it on a OBD II simple system same fault code but when looking at the data it gives;

O2 Sensor 1 , Bank 1 output 0.515v

O2 Sensor 1 Bank 2 output 0.565v

Are these not the signals it says have no activity?

These voltages vary as the engine is used.

Also the information says at start up it’s running open loop and it changes to closed loop which seems to indicate that it must be getting a signal from the Lambdas or it would stay on open loop.

Also the problem I am having lumpy running on LPG between 1000rpm and 2000rpm does not happen when on open loop.

jiginc

Check your wires going to the malfunctioning o2 sensor it most likely to be a ground issue

Best advice is to check and clean all the connections

hth

martin

Check your wires going to the malfunctioning o2 sensor it most likely to be a ground issue

Best advice is to check and clean all the connections

hth

martin

Thanks for that martin I have checked the plugs and the leads and all seems to be OK. What I do not undeerstand is why the fault code says it's malfunctioning but the data reads an output. and it switches to closed loop when a faulty Lambda would keep it in open loop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jiginc

Swap the sensors over / clear code(s) and see if the fault moves.

Maybe a faulty sensor.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Will try this however.

I have been advised by a LR tech that lambdas do not respond well to LPG and the best way to run it would be to remove the sensors and run on open loop.

Any one got and comments on this!!!!

Most LR techs know little about LPG - only that it can cause problems.The inactivity of the oxygen sensor may be not the sensors fault,if the LPG system has not been fuelling acurately enough to match what the petrol ecu would do.Basically the long term fuel trims may not allow enough injector pulse width to get the sensor to switch up rich.Or it could be that the Maf is reading low as it slowly fails,a low reading again will not allow a wide enough pulse width on either fuel.

As already said generic diagnostic kit does not work well on LR's,sometimes the truth will only come out on Testbook.What readings do you get from the Maf at idle,then at 3000rpm - hot engine with no loads ?

with a fault like this and you are on gas is that the gas burns too cleanly and the ecu is thinking it is on petrol so rictchens the mixture or weakens it to compensate but when it switchs back to petrol the mixture is so rich or weak when it cannot adjust then the ecu throws a sensor fault

• 3 weeks later...