Tuning an early TD5 and cutting the bumper

Jimbo-TD5

#1. Hi all, Im considering getting my TD5 Remapped, but after reading the LRO feature about tuning Ive realised you cant remap the early ones, only chip the ECU. Has anyone had this done that can comment on it, and who is the best company to do the job?? How much of a difference does it make?

#2. The front bumper of my discovery is pretty well knackered, and Ive seen lots of D2s with a bumper chop (this would eliminate most of the damage), similar to the chop done on 200s and 300s. I have looked at various pics on the internet, but I cant find any info on doing it, like a tutorial or something. anyone know for one, or is it chop it and see??

This is what the idea looks like, 2nd pic down: CLICK HERE!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Never tried it but I think they just cut along a moulding line in the bumper. I think the main problem is 1) if you chop the middle it looks like a dogs breakfast and 2) whatever you do the washer bottle hangs out the passenger side so you will clout that instead!

The standard D2 bumper is pretty much unusable off road but I don't use mine for much so it doesn't bother me. Later bumpers on 03/04 models are a fair bit higher so one option is to fit one of those. Best option of all is to get one of the steel bumpers, but I expect they are expensive.

My opinion (as someone thats remaps cars for a living) it is definately worth 'chipping' any turbo diesel. You will notice the difference, be thet improved performance or economy depending on your driving style. I will not advertise on forums, but if you decide to get it done PM me and I'll point you toward someone in your area that I would let loose on my car.

Ok thanks for your replies, the reason I want to bodge my bumper for the minute is that 2nd hand bumpers are fetching up to £300 on ebay, and I intend on getting a winch bumper in a few months :) thanks for your help!

and with regards to the chipping, I will bear you in mind, thanks for your advice! I know you said you wont advertise on forums, but could you give me a rough outline on how much it will cost?? thanks!