Alternators

Hi all..

Nearly finished my 200tdi into a 2.5TD 90...

I want to use the Disco alternator.. And I had to cut the original plug off of the 2.5turbo item. The wires I have are 2 x big brown wires and one smaller red one.. How do I wire these to the Disco alternator..

Also If I want to re-use my old 2.5td alternator I would have to re-connect the lucas plug.. I didnt really take notice which way the wires were and am confused with the Brown wires.. Both are the same and I dont know where to connect each one??? Both big brown wires have NO markings on them so I dont have a clue... Can I just wire any of the brown wires to eachother?, If I got the wrong wires.. Would the alternator blow up like a bomb in a Lethal weapon movie?.

Thanks.. Matt

is correct if you had not cut off plug the old one would have gone straight back on. never mind at least you will now next time wink.gif

I had to cut the plug off to take the loom off my old engine.. I couldnt get it off without taking the plug off. But I left 3 inches of wire on the plug so I can re-connect it ;)

i just did exactly the same to my old 2.5 td.

changed the old spade type alternator for one with bolts on.

if you look at the back of the old spade alternator, where both the big brown wires plug into, they are infact joined together anyway, so like Western said in a previous post, wire both big brown wires into the B+ terminal on your disco alternator, (the biggest bolt connector, it will be marked with a B+) and the small red wire, that goes onto the smallest of the 3 bolt terminals which should be marked with D+ or just D.

dont worry about the W terminal, thats just if you have a rev counter.

HTH

CURLY

i just did exactly the same to my old 2.5 td.

changed the old spade type alternator for one with bolts on.

if you look at the back of the old spade alternator, where both the big brown wires plug into, they are infact joined together anyway, so like Western said in a previous post, wire both big brown wires into the B+ terminal on your disco alternator, (the biggest bolt connector, it will be marked with a B+) and the small red wire, that goes onto the smallest of the 3 bolt terminals which should be marked with D+ or just D.

dont worry about the W terminal, thats just if you have a rev counter.

HTH

CURLY

Thanks I understand it all now :lol:

Thanks I understand it all now :lol:

are you sure?

just to recap..

you connect the 2 big brown wires to the blah blah terminal, and the small red one to the hoojamaflip jobbie.. but guess what, you dont need to connect anything to the W badongde because thats for the rev counter..

LOL

CURLY

are you sure?

just to recap..

you connect the 2 big brown wires to the blah blah terminal, and the small red one to the hoojamaflip jobbie.. but guess what, you dont need to connect anything to the W badongde because thats for the rev counter..

LOL

CURLY

don't confuse him anymore cos you'll regret it later :lol:

:P:P:P

Problem was that my alternator doesnt have any markings on it despite being a lucas item :unsure: .. Plus was also caked in S*** :rolleyes: ..

I got a photo from a mate with a Disco, He took a photo of the back of his alternator but was baffled by the "W" terminal as I forgot the disco had a rev counter!

Oh well you learn new things every day :D

are you sure?

just to recap..

LOL

CURLY

Remember...

No one likes a Smart A***

:P :P :P :P