Td5 DMF...Dual Mass Flywheel

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

Does anyone have any experience with these? i had a new clutch fitted a few months ago, and shortly after i had a "juddering" whenever i pull away (like there is oil on the friction plate)

I did have a leaking clutch slave cylinder, but have since changed that and done plenty of heavy hill starts to clean the plate off.

But this juddering is still present, chatting a few people they suggest the dual mass flywheel is broken/breaking up.

what does this entail? will it eventually totally break and leave me with no drive? obviously replacement is the final answer.

I know that there was a recall for early models (mine is 2001-ish), and my $tealership is adamant that "i would have been notified and we would have carried out the work already" but i don't trust them not to bother contacting me to notify.

i forget who but someone else asked about this recently and Ralph sent through a copy of the tech bulletin, maybe contact him.

has this come on since the clutch change? did it judder before the change?

Guest diesel_jim
i forget who but someone else asked about this recently and Ralph sent through a copy of the tech bulletin, maybe contact him.

It didn't judder before, and i don't think it juddered immediately after the clutch change either.

Think i'll kick up a fuss with th garage that changed the clutch and get them to have a look-see if the friction plate is FU'd

The issue with the early dual mass flywheels was down to surface cracking which could develop and result in the flywheel breaking up. These should have all been sorted by now. The other issue with them is the springs. Not complicated...just a question of checking the "slack" in them when the gearbox is out. Mine is a 99 TD5 and when the box was out the other week to do the clutch (preventative maintenance!) I had a good look at the flywheel...it was fine both in terms of friction surface and spring tension despite having done 90k.

However, the gearbox had to come out again because the clutch was dragging. Although I used a genuine clutch it turned out to be a duffer and had to be replaced. I hope this is not the case with yours but well worth going back to whoever did it and getting them to sort it.

I have seen a few Genuine clutches with problems, seems to be something to do with the pressure plate not lifting evenly, causes difficult gear selection and/or juddering. We had one a couple of weeks ago in one of our vehicles, fitted new clutch, you could hardly get the damn thing into gear, took it out for a look, seemed OK, refitted it, same thing, fitted another new one and it was fine. Nothing visibly wrong with any of the components. The bloke doing it was mightily P&ed off taking the box out 3 times in 2 days!!! I guess I have seen 3 or 4 like this in about 6 years so it isn't common but does happen.

The Td5 flywheels should all have been done a long time ago. Unless it was coincidence I don't think a new clutch could cause anything untoward with the flywheel and in any case the cracking problem was only supposed to affect a handful of vehicles that would have a really hard life towing or off road, most vehicles were fine.

Don't remember that tech bulletin, :unsure::huh: just been into RAVE but can't find any info about dualmass flywheels on Td5 engines :(

Mine had the recall done on it, recall no A211.

dont have the recall sheet to hand, although John T covers it as above.

i woudl suggest that as the fault came after the clutch change that the clutch is changed again.