How to access wing to bulkhead bolts

Firstly forgive me for being a bit naïve about the basics on defender construction but this is a steep learning curve for me. And this will be a quick thread I am sure.

Quite simply I am replacing the wings on a 300TDi, among other things, due to crash damage, and scratching my head working out how to access the wing to bulkhead bolts.

The grill and bonnet slam are off, radiator intercooler etc and this evening started unbolting the wings. The lower wing bolts to the chassis at front are out and I have worked my way back removing bolts under the wheel arches. All I can see that remains now is the fixings at the bulkhead. I do not want to go too far removing the internal footwell and door shut trims etc or even the doors unnecessarily, but without doing so can’t see how to access the bolts/nuts on the back (inside) of the bulkhead.

Thanks Steve.

somebody i think mentioned once that the ones lower down just slide off. in a sort of 'up and away from car' type movement. I think the 'holes' are slotted in the wing skin.

Ah cool, We will see how it goes when I get back from work tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

If you remove the wheel arch flares you can use a ratchet with a long extension to reach the bulkhead bolts as it leaves a gap between the inner and outer wing. As above you only need to slacken them off a turn or so although I find it's easier to get the wing off if you wind them out completely.

The flares are attached with a plastic rivet.. normally anyway. use a pin punch to push the centres out of them and they just pull out.

If you remove the wheel arch flares you can use a ratchet with a long extension to reach the bulkhead bolts as it leaves a gap between the inner and outer wing. As above you only need to slacken them off a turn or so although I find it's easier to get the wing off if you wind them out completely.

The flares are attached with a plastic rivet.. normally anyway. use a pin punch to push the centres out of them and they just pull out.

That all makes sense, didnt give removing the spats/flares a thought. And yes mine are held with plastic rivets. Thanks again.

If you're removing crash damaged wings and do not plan on re-using them, a set of shears is always an option, then they'll be really easy to get to. It was one of the worst things to figure out during my dismantle, and even once figured out, still a pain.

If you're removing crash damaged wings and do not plan on re-using them, a set of shears is always an option, then they'll be really easy to get to. It was one of the worst things to figure out during my dismantle, and even once figured out, still a pain.

Job sorted now thanks, and I can see using shears would have been an option but i did want to retain the outer wing of one side.

All worked fine thanks Dave. If you had not mentioned pushing the centre pin out of the plastic rivets I would have been ages scratching my head. And once the flares were off there was plenty of room to get to the bulkhead bolts with a the long extention on the ratchet as you said. Thanks.