ABS Fault

EggNChips

Hi

If you do a search on here for the 3 amigies you'll find loads of useful info.

Briefly - the three lights signify a fault somewhere in the abs circuit. Can be caused by 1. faulty abs wheel sensor(s) 2. faulty brake light switch 3 faulty HDC switch or wiring disconnected on gearstick 4 ABS pump module fault.

Had this three times on mine now they are my little friends!

Message me if you get stuck....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just a shot in the dark as dont know anything about the diesel versions but... when i disconnected the tps (throttle position sensor) on my 1.8 petrol version the 3 amigo lights came on straight away! which as you can gather is nothing to do with the abs or hill descent control! so just double check the wiring around the sensor... just a thought! :rolleyes:

just a shot in the dark as dont know anything about the diesel versions but... when i disconnected the tps (throttle position sensor) on my 1.8 petrol version the 3 amigo lights came on straight away! which as you can gather is nothing to do with the abs or hill descent control! so just double check the wiring around the sensor... just a thought! :rolleyes:

It's all fixed, I bought the car with a blown IRD box because the lunatic that owned it had put different size tyres on the front and the back!

The HDC only works when the throttle, clutch and brake are not depressed so presumably it uses the TPS to sense if the throttle is pressed.

Cheers anyway.

what can you explain more about this??

Yeah, the previous owner had put different width and profile tyres on the back as the front. This means that the back wheels are rotating at different rates to the front. The viscous coupling then locks up because of the wheel slip and the IRD box winds up eventually stripping the teeth of the Crownwheel and pinion. It also causes problems with the Traction Control because the rear and front wheels are rotating at different rates.

..about ABS...I realized a simply circuit to disconect the ABS central unit, just a relè (normaly close)with a swicht that put it ON and so disconnect the power supply of ABS's electronic control,just to disconnect ABS service in O.R. so i can block the wheels. Naturally the HDC don't work. Someone told me that is better to reconnected the ABS electronic service (put the swicht off) whit keypanel is OFF.

It's very interesting to use in a short discend when HDC is to long to drive you down.

What do you think?

P:S: I use it a very few times