Valve Stem Seals 300 Tdi

disco_al

The oil seal lets the oil into the exhaust and I'll wager £5 it is the Turbo

As mine like others appearing here now STANK made others in the group feel sick following.

Another fiver here.... :o

If it's valve stem seals you will have a LOT of smoke on overrun. Have you ?

mike

The downpipe is downstream of the turbo and valve stem seals. The only part that's in between is the head exhaust ports or the exhaust manifold before the turbo. If you pull the exh manifold and can't see any oil, it's probably the turbo - and as an added bonus, you're already holding it for a trip to the recon shop!

• 1 year later...

Sounds like its probably a turbo problem but for the record, I replaced my valve stem seals (300tdi) about a month ago.

I made a tool from an old whitworth spanner that I sacrificed and then made a bridge piece from 1/2"square tubing about 10" long which I then drilled to suit 2 of the 3 camshaft studs.

Bring the engine to TDC on cylinder 1 to do cylinder 1 and 4, then turn engine 180 degrees to do cylinders 2 and 3.

I used the tubing across 2 studs to push down on the fork spanner which in turn compressed the spring until the valve head touches the piston crown. Keep winding till the collets can be removed. Take all the bits and springs off, remove old seal, install new seal with a well chosen socket and tap lightly in place. Replace springs and other bits, recompress the springs to reinstall the collets, release etc. It took me about 2 hours to do the whole job.

My car was smoking on start up which is why I did the job. It still smokes a little but its about 75% better.

If I can figure out how to get my pictures on here, I will show how I did it.

Steve