Range Rover suspension & handling

vaughand

Hi all. Iḿ new to the world of Land Rovers. I have just got a 1994 Range Rover 200 TDI. It has been sprayed in Tango Orange :-)

It has jacked up suspension and really big off road tyres which is nice but I do alot of motorway miles and this doesn´t handle very well on the motorway, even at 45-50 it is bad. It wanders all over the place and sometimes it starts swerving madly even in middle and fast lane!

Is this a common problem with high suspension? Is there a way I can cure this and keep the suspension or do I have to put standard/lower kit in?

If I can´t sort it out, I´ll have to put standard suspension in :-(

Big lift and big tires and speed = needing more than one lane of the motorway in general!

Castor correction will help steering, as will checking all your bushes and swivel preloads. You can also fit anti roll bars (with appropriate spacers off the chassis to compensate for the lift).

However, if you do lots of motorway miles then you might want to consider a less severe lift (2" max) and some more sensible tyres. I drove a RR around France on all kinds of roads with a 2" lift and 235 x 85 mud tyres and handling was perfectly acceptable. It will never be a track day car, but then you didn't buy it for that did you....?

I run a RRC LSE on 35in tyres, +3 springs, +3 body lift. It's good for about 85 on the motorway, but everything has to be 110%. I would not advise any S bends! It is very sensitive to tyre presure. It's a lot of fun, and you will never fall asleep at the wheel.

On my RRC I use 235x85s muds for fun and KSR*, but I have a 2nd set of 225x75 ATs for 'normal' driving and the difference is amazing - MUCH better on smaller ATs :)

Having said that there is still a bit of lurching even with the 'sensible' tyres which I put down to worn bushes (to be replaced soon). I think this because my steering links are all new and the swivels/bearings/steering box are all good and I have only a marginal lift (just diesel springs) - and it sort of 'feels' like the axle is lurching from side to side as loads are applied...

The other benefits from using ATs are the improvements in noise, vibration and grip :)

A final word - never forget that with any Land Rover, but especially with a lift and on large tyres, you have to drive within it's limits - and depending how extreme it is, those limits might include 60mph on the motorway. I have recently heard of a chap who put a lift and large tyres and a roof tent on his 110 and his partner promptly laid it over on a straight dual carriageway :o (nobody was hurt, thank goodness)

Rog

*KSR = Kerb Side Reaction ;)

Thanks for the replies, i´ĺl check all those things. This is a pic of my rangie:

03092009.jpg

I think it is more than a 2¨ lift. I would like to have it a bit lower, anyone want to swap suspension kits :lol:?

The reason I got it is that I will probably be turning it into a Tomcat. :rolleyes: However, I´ve got to use it until I´ve got all the necessary bits to do the conversion so I would like it to be a bit more useable.

There is away round alot of this.... dont be a cheap skate, buy good and well tested products. suspension / tyres and use commen sense. i run 34 simex and plus 5" suspension OME, Polybushed (OEM) cage winchs etc and i have to say mine handles fantastically and is very secure at speed 80/90 mph on or off road (i live in a place with no speed restrictions)

buy cheap / take risks expect poor results. things like remoulds tyres and very cheap or copied suspension what do you expect...

keep things simple and spend well = good times