Overdrive Oil

Gazzar

I'm about to fit a second hand overdrive to my 109 2286 petrol.

The o/d looks to be in good order, with no wear apparent on the bit that fits to the mainshaft.

The manual recommends EP90, however I've seen that other marque overdrive users (Triumph TR2) now recommend 20/50 valvoline race spec oil.

The Fairey overdrive was designed 50 years ago, and I expect that lube technology has improved somewhat.

What do people use in their overdrives today?

G.

Yep - EP80/90 gear oil. Old Series overdrives are somewhat more industrial than other makes :)

Les.

Cheers Les,

I've also asked the Father in law, who is the automotive lubes expert in the family!

When it comes to lubes he wrote the book (in fact - he wrote the SAE handbook for lubes, makes for good reading after a couple of bottles of wine). We'll see what he says.

Just removed the bearing carrier - quite a job! Bearing was very tight on the shaft, but all looks very good inside so am now going to fit the od (after a cup of tea).

/

Yippee!!

G.

OK,

It's in, working and tested. The Father in law has said EP90 or possibly EP140, at the mo it has EP90 and a dribble of ATF (for luck).

A bit of whine when engaged, however getting quieter all the time.

There is a leak from the top plate, so I suspect the cotter pin breather isn't working right. The plan is to change that now.

Fitting problems.

I found that the overdrive was difficult to slide on, I suspect the gearbox shaft is a very tight fit, as getting the bearing holder off was difficult too.

I found the easiest way to fit it was was to run the engine and push the OD, and it worked its way on.

Fitting the pivot fitting to the selecter shaft was a fiddle but is now done.

I used an old CV boot as a gear gaitor, which looks great!

Overall it took a day to fit, including cleaning the o/d up, painting brackets and cleaning up the transfer box.

4 gear levers! Just like the tractor!

G.

I think you'll find that most British cars use the Laycock overdrive - which is a rather different thing to the Land Rover one.

Briefly the Laycock uses epicyclic gears (like an auto box) and the gears are locked/unlocked by a cone clutch which is hydraulically operated. In turn the hydraulics re operated by an electrical circuit with the control somewhere convenient to the driver (Steering column control - elderly Triumph, Rover, Jaguar, Rootes; - gear knob switch - later Triumph and Jaguar.

These boxes used the gearbox oil and did not require separate filling.

The Land Rover one uses normal gears with mechanical engagement by what I believe is a Rover 2000 synchro clutch (much the same as a Series 3 1st/2nd synchro unit). The Land Rover unit has its own oil supply and should be assembled with anti-scuff paste as the lubrication of the clutch arrangement fitted to the LR gearbox is inadequate. EP 90 is the normal lubricant.