replacing out riggers and other bits!!

hi there

just a few questions i will be replacing the outriggers on my 1992 D90 very very soon, i have the replacement outriggers it has big tabs either side to go on to the chassi, these i asumeare supose to be cut of then the outrigger welded on. is there a page on here that would have replacing an outrrigger or can some one give me a quick run through of how they have done it (engine gearbox is out of car so is the seat box, floor, wings)

also im needing to patch the chassi where the gearbox cross member attaches to the chassi any sugestions i have a reasnoble good idea how im going to do it just would like some confermation.

hi there

just a few questions i will be replacing the outriggers on my 1992 D90 very very soon, i have the replacement outriggers it has big tabs either side to go on to the chassi, these i asumeare supose to be cut of then the outrigger welded on. is there a page on here that would have replacing an outrrigger or can some one give me a quick run through of how they have done it (engine gearbox is out of car so is the seat box, floor, wings)

also im needing to patch the chassi where the gearbox cross member attaches to the chassi any sugestions i have a reasnoble good idea how im going to do it just would like some confermation.

The big tabs are not generally cut off. They are there to help you get to an area of decent uncorroded metal on your chassis. You normally find that the chassis is corroded behind where the outrigger has been. You can trim/shorten the tabs to suit your needs but most people leave them on.

Regarding patching the chassis by the gearbox cross member, a bit more detail as regards just what you are doing would help. Your question is a bit vague, could you be a bit more specific?

Just be sure to remove all the corroded metal and patch accordingly with continuous welds. If you remove any of the gearbox cross member bolt holes you should fit crush tubes to the chassis when repairing.

Use the search facility in the tech archive section to find articles relating to outrigger replacement. I think it's been covered before.

HTH.

Mark.

Have you removed the gearbox crossmember yet? They usually are a very tight fit and will be even harder to fit if you weld a plate on top of the chassis face, rather than flush with it. You won't be able to just cut a neat square out either - there are quite a few reinforcing brackets inside the chassis and spot welded to it. Loads of grinding work if you intent to cut it all out and weld a plate flush.

Les.