Fitting 300tdi Discovery alloys

Hi all..

Went into my breakers today on the way home from college where theres a 200TDI Discovery. Its got 300tdi "Free style" alloys fitted.

Full set of 4, Maybe 5.. And got some decent looking tyres on however ones flat but he said he could attempt to fix that.. £150

Im tempted to go for them, But know theres sometimes issues with fitting alloys to older 90's (Pre Defenders).. A mate fitted some 300tdi alloys to his 1987 90 and they fitted straight on. Yet many people say you need spacers etc..

Can anyone explain to me how I would go about fitting 300tdi disco alloys to my 90 please?. And whats normally the problem whilst fitting them?. I would like wheel spacers but cannot justify spending £150 on them!

Many thanks.. Matt

I have a set of 4 good Freestyle alloys here with nearly new BFG ATs (235/70 16) on them you can have for £150, including nuts & locking nuts. There is a disco steel spare with an unused Michelin to go with them. Only trouble is I am a fair way from you and I also don't have the key for the locking nuts (but plan to get one soon as they are only a few quid and I need to get the wheels out of the way before my missus returns from holiday :ph34r: !)

I thought the problem with earlier 90s was that they had drum brakes on the rear and the size of the brake drum often fouled the inside of alloy....

A later rear axle with disc brakes (or a converted Disco one remove 3bolt input shaft and fit a 4 bolt) and that would be cheaper than a £150.00 set of spacers.

The problem is that the inside of the alloy fouls on the old type drive members which are thicker. If you try and put them on they seem all right (I did it on my original 1987 90 - set of three spoke RR wheels) and you could see the score marks on the inside of the rim and it didn't seat properly on the hub so although the nuts seemed to do up OK it was actually quite dangerous as the wheel wasn't seated on the hub.

The thin drive members were introduced on the very late 200Tdis - the same vehicles that had disc brakes on the rear (LA930xxx onwards VIN number) anything before that may have an issue but it depends on the design of the wheel - some of the aftermarket alloys are sold as fitting any 90/110 so I assume they have a bit more clearance inside the wheel. Some people grind the wheels out a bit inside, not something I would recommend!!