Engine Hoist Repair

sotal

A friend offered me an engine crane which is a few years old, very heavy duty etc.

Doesn't want too much for it but it doesn't work! The ram leaks and doesn't hold pressure/fluid.

Are they easy to repair? I've read a few american forums where they don't bother to repair they just replace the ram and they recommend this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36397

but I can't find any in the UK

Cool - that was the answer I was after - any rough guesses on what I should be charged (to make sure I don't get ripped off!).

I might phone a few places tomorrow to see how much a repair would be likely to be, then see exactly how much cheap is!

If you can't get it re-sealed and you get another ram I would be interested in the old one.

That harbour freight one was only $39 last time I saw it.

There is one at $34. I will get a postal price on it.

Do you fancy getting a price for a couple? The only thing stopping me from building an engine crane out of steel I've got lying around is the prohibitive cost of a hydraulic solution, as I don't want to use a bottle jack, and anything else is expensive.

A friend offered me an engine crane which is a few years old, very heavy duty etc.

Doesn't want too much for it but it doesn't work! The ram leaks and doesn't hold pressure/fluid.

Are they easy to repair? I've read a few american forums where they don't bother to repair they just replace the ram and they recommend this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36397

but I can't find any in the UK

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................ i wonder if one of these will work on my brian james tilt bed trailer ????

Do you fancy getting a price for a couple? The only thing stopping me from building an engine crane out of steel I've got lying around is the prohibitive cost of a hydraulic solution, as I don't want to use a bottle jack, and anything else is expensive.

I just got a reply from them :

APPROXIMATE SHIPPING CHARGES (via FedEx)

Fed-Ex Priority (Gross weight 0-150 LBS): $ 113.50

(In U.S. dollars)

Fed-Ex Economy (Gross weight 0-150 LBS): $ 100.62

(In U.S.

dollars)

Any order that has a gross weight of 150 pounds or more, the customer

will need to locate a freight forwarder and call the order desk to place

your order.

DELIVERY TIME: 10-14 working days (Includes processing time)

Anyone else want something ? I might order a ram for my tipping trailer meaning there is space available for other bits to make it up to 150lbs....hmmmm

strip its yourself, the seals and orings cost all of about a tenner!

Were always having to strip and rebuild rams on the farm, and whenever we scrap old machinery we save the rams off them.

might be worth asking local farmers if they have anything lying about!!

They wanted £75 for it, I ended up getting a newer one in perfect working order complete with chains for £90. I'd have spent £15 in fuel alone to collect the broken one so it just wasn't worth it in the end.

Very happy with my new one though.

Thanks for all the replies! :)