Borg Warner or LT230

Just looking for general opinion on what transfer box would be best for my needs. My 110 (when ive finished it) will be running a 4.6 RV8 along with an R380 and will be used probably 60/40 on-road, off-road. I have a BW and an LT230 sitting in the workshop, both are unknown quantities so probably wise to rebuild whichever one i choose to go with. Opinions?

The LT230 is known to be pretty strong, and as one of the transmission components that landrover did right.

BW box on the otherhand isnt quite as reliable being a bit more complicated a design, with parts such as the viscous coupling siezing up etc. I would also imagine that the "locking" action of the BW box isnt quite as complete as the LT230, given that it has a viscous coupled centre, rather than a mechanical dog clutch which locks the shafts together as found in the LT230.

If it was me, i'd be installing the LT230. I picked up an LT230Q from a D2 for my 90 project.

I run a BW transfer box in my 110. There's another 30K+ miles gone on the vehicle since fitting. The viscous coupling still works fine (I check regularly when a front wheel is lifted during services), and the vehicle is regularly driven on lanes and across fields - without any diff lock problems.

It is worth checking out the cost of reconditioning a BW unit as the chain can stretch, oil pump wears and the viscous coupling can sieze. This might make it a somewhat more expensive proposition than replacing a full set of bearings in a LT230.

I'm a big fan of the BW. I run one in the racer and find it really suits it.

If your forum nickname is anything to go by I'd plump for the BW. The handling balance is better, because it is not always locked up, but when you need it it just works. I also reckon that it might be a bit more forgiving on the rest of the drivetrain when used hard.

Worth checking the splines carefully when you rebuild it. I don't think that they are especially complicated or difficult to rebuild, and as an added bonus, they're lighter too!