Flexible exhaust supplier

BogMonster

A bit OT (I need it for a generator) but I need to source a length of flexible exhaust pipe 38mm inside diameter to make an external exhaust system for a small generator for our house - the 38mm ID needs to sleeve over the existing exhaust of the generator which is 38mm OD, and then will bodge onto a fixed pipe to go outside the building it will be running in.

There are tonnes of places selling it - in about 5 foot lengths which will cost a million quid to post here. Can't find anything locally.

Any ideas on where I could get a bit about 18in to 2ft long? My father is in the UK at the moment so he could bring a bit back but again not something 5ft long as it will be too big. I don't know if places like Halfords sell it - nothing on their website.

Or does anybody has a gash bit around 18in-2ft long lying around looking for beer tokens to get it out of the way....?

Ta :)

Have you thought about the flexi-pipe used by Webasto and Eberspacher on their fuel-powered air heaters? I know Eberspacher are generally 24mmID exhaust, but I'm sure some Webasto's are larger.

A caravan supply or a chandlers will have a good selection, as fuel-powered heaters are common on boats, and need much more ducting than in campers/caravans.

Or, as 38mm is 1 1/2 inch, have you tried a standard motorbike exhaust pipe?

Or this flexi stuff?

The eBay link is one I was looking at but 5 foot long is too big to post here.

I hadn't thought about Webasto type heaters but I will look into that... I know where there are a couple :)

No bike suppliers here either - people order their own stuff in.

Had looked at marine exhaust hose but written that off as being unsuitable - the rubberised hose is only good to 120 deg C or something because its water cooled by the raw water outlet from the engine, and as we found out on one of the company boats a couple of weeks ago, if the seawater pump fails not only does the engine overheat rather rapidly but it also sets fire to the exhaust if there is no water cooling it :o

Ta :)

I'm sure that 5 foot length would fit down a trouser leg for easy transport though laugh.gif .

Maybe even coiled in a big suitcase.

I meant exhaust pipe from the fuel burning heaters, rather than engine, they're single skinned, and ribbed (for your pleasure), but not particularly bendy unfortunately.

Even single-skin light ally house air-con hose may do the job, but it's usually a lot bigger than 1 1/2".