200tdi timing out?

Cartman

As part of the rebuild (and as the engine is only sitting in a bare chassis) it would seem sensible to give it a good overhaul.

Today I thought I would tackle the cam belt but have a problem which has be a tad confused.

Now the Disco ran fine for the 30-40 miles I drove it home before it was stripped so I have no doubts that the engine is OK but on locking the timing to remove the belts it either seems to be way out or I am doing it wrong?

Now in the two pics we have the pump pulley locked with a 3/8" drill and the can pulley hole (painted red) aligns with the arrow - but the flywheel 'inlet' for the locking tool (if it fitted) is about 60 degrees out (arrow on c/l of drain port and indent on flywheel marked with an arrow) and the crank pullet 'TDC' mark is about 30 degrees from the 12 O'clock position.

374455512.jpg

374455508.jpg

Do I just have to go and take some more pills to get over it? :huh::blink:

Paul

Sussed it in the end Ralph.

I ignored the slot in the flywheel and went with the marks on the cam cog and then put the crank woodruff key to the 12 O'Clock position (arrow above as per link).

It's all now back together but for life of me I cannot work out why the flywheel key slot is so far away from the drain plug point at the bottom when everything else lines up A1? :huh:

Still new belt/tensioner/roller and crank seal now in :P

I ignored the slot in the flywheel and went with the marks on the cam cog and then put the crank woodruff key to the 12 O'Clock position (arrow above as per link).

Is correct. I never use the timing slot - the woodruff key is sufficient to set the timing accurately. Valley-to-valley on the belt/sprocket is 5- 6mm, so it's almost impossible to get it wrong. Don't forget to slacken the 3 x 10mm head bolts to get the inj pump dead right, tension the belt, then tighten them. 2 x rotations of ther crank and do it again.

Les.

Sussed it in the end Ralph.

It's all now back together but for life of me I cannot work out why the flywheel key slot is so far away from the drain plug point at the bottom when everything else lines up A1? :huh:

Still new belt/tensioner/roller and crank seal now in :P

there's 1 dowel in the crank end to align the flywheel correctly, looks like the dowel is fitted, so a bit strange it's so far out.

Is correct. I never use the timing slot - the woodruff key is sufficient to set the timing accurately. Valley-to-valley on the belt/sprocket is 5- 6mm, so it's almost impossible to get it wrong. Don't forget to slacken the 3 x 10mm head bolts to get the inj pump dead right, tension the belt, then tighten them. 2 x rotations of ther crank and do it again.

Les.

Did exactly that Les and it all looks good. Now to wait 'till I fire it up again in 1-2....months time? :ph34r::rolleyes:

Cheers,

Paul

I reckon it needs turning over more till the flywheel slot is in the correct position and the injection pump hole lines up.

I agree the crank narrow slot & woodruff key in the correct place will give a definite TDC, always works for my 200Tdi at belt change time.