Oil inTD5 Loom

This is my first post on this forum so hello to all.

I have just got myself a 90 td5 and its got oil under the seat box.

I have looked on hear and other forums but but I am still not sure what to do.

I have just got a new injector loom but after reading something in LRO, it talks about replacing the oil seals?

What oil seals. does any one know the part numbers if any are needed.

I was going to get some clutch cleaner spray to clean the other part of the loom and ECU plug as suggested on another forum.

Thanks

Matt

Ignore the oil seals business, you are on the right track to a cure. Wonder did they mean the rubber rocker gasket?

Solvent cleaner is sold in all sorts of guises inc Brake Cleaner, solvent weld joint cleaner etc, buy the biggest and cheapest, they're all the same! As long as it makes you high and does the environment no good you've bought the right stuff :lol:

gallery_2_820_40010.jpg

When I changed mine I opted to destroy the seal on the socket shown in the lower part of Les' picture - the white/grey rubber part. I did this so that if, in future, oil makes it's way into the injector loom any pressure in the head/crankcase or gravity will vent the oil round the plug and not force it all the way down the pipeswires to the ECU and so the problem will not recur. If anyone tries to tell you that the newer looms have better seals at the injector end they are liars, mine is a 2004 car and supposedly immune but still suffered at just over three years old.

HTSH

Chris

Water would have to go uphill to get in and since I plan to avoid deep wading anyway, it is worth the risk. That said, I did get an unexplained 'power on' misfire while driving through Spain in a cloudburst which cleared once the rain had stopped. Could have been related, could not. IMHO, no way could water ever get to the ECU as it would be vaporised by the heat from the engine.

Chris

I was thinking about water and dust getting into the plug pins rather then the ECU.

I design LED Lighting systems for a living and in tests I have seen how moisture can get into plug pins and cause damage.

It’s a bigger problem if it freezes.

Your misfire could be down to moisture. Again from the IP testing I have had products put through, when a hot item hits water, any air inside it will cool quickly and cause a vacuum.

I think I am going to leave the loom and seals standard but look into moving the ECU up to the roof.