Alternative to pop rivets to secure the rubber cover over the gearbox

cipx2

It's about the pop rivets used to secure the rubber dust cover as can be seen in Les' pic:

med_gallery_2_122_1070478.jpg

I would like to replace them with some sort of demountable solution (better than self tapping screws).

I was thinking to something like this:

USR.gif

Other ideas please?

The plastic rivets used on the sill trims or some other similar rivets (I think their generic class name is snap rivets) can be a option. The reason I didn't include them on my list is mainly because they can't be removed so easily from within the cabin (you have to drill a small hole and use a small self tapping screw as an extractor). But there is at least one kind that can be removed with a small flat screwdriver (used on many vehicles to fix all sorts of covers and other plasticly things in the engine bay). IMO they all are a bit too flimsy for the job.

I was also in the middle of considering rivnuts, jack nuts, U clips for self taping screws or captive nuts.

I initially put these on 2nd place as they will add a small "bump" and the rubber won't be in a close contact all way round and this could mean whater/dust/etc ingress.

Now I'm thinking in glueing some thin plastic sheet strips in between them clips to compensate the "bumps" and equalize the surface all over.

For those who don't know what K88 MUD was referring to:

post-1725-12539610715_thumb.jpg

The reasons I'm looking for an alternative:

- would allow me to remove the rubber cover exclusively from inside the cabin to inspect/check/adjust/test what's underneath (wires, switches, breathers etc) - not removing the gearbox - think of rain/snow/cold/lack of time/middle of nowhere

- I want something fast to remove and refit without drilling, taping, too many debris etc

- it's reusable (i.e the bits involved don't get destroyed too easy, 1-2 pcs out of the 14 won't be a problem).

- in other words, it should be about as simple as on Defenders - bolt on, bolt off but still keep the water and dust out.

I'm now leaning towards U clips with captive nuts with strips in between(same as in above picture but with a nut held captive)

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The plastic rivets used on the sill trims or some other similar rivets (I think their generic class name is snap rivets) can be a option. The reason I didn't include them on my list is mainly because they can't be removed so easily from within the cabin (you have to drill a small hole and use a small self tapping screw as an extractor). But there is at least one kind that can be removed with a small flat screwdriver (used on many vehicles to fix all sorts of covers and other plasticly things in the engine bay). IMO they all are a bit too flimsy for the job.

I was also in the middle of considering rivnuts, jack nuts, U clips for self taping screws or captive nuts.

I initially put these on 2nd place as they will add a small "bump" and the rubber won't be in a close contact all way round and this could mean whater/dust/etc ingress.

Now I'm thinking in glueing some thin plastic sheet strips in between them clips to compensate the "bumps" and equalize the surface all over.

For those who don't know what K88 MUD was referring to:

post-1725-12539610715_thumb.jpg

The reasons I'm looking for an alternative:

- would allow me to remove the rubber cover exclusively from inside the cabin to inspect/check/adjust/test what's underneath (wires, switches, breathers etc) - not removing the gearbox - think of rain/snow/cold/lack of time/middle of nowhere

- I want something fast to remove and refit without drilling, taping, too many debris etc

- it's reusable (i.e the bits involved don't get destroyed too easy, 1-2 pcs out of the 14 won't be a problem).

- in other words, it should be about as simple as on Defenders - bolt on, bolt off but still keep the water and dust out.

I'm now leaning towards U clips with captive nuts with strips in between(same as in above picture but with a nut held captive)

Thanks for the replies, guys.

you don't need nut strips if you use 'spire' nuts, they accept self tapping screws & act as the nut as well.

It's about the pop rivets used to secure the rubber dust cover as can be seen in Les' pic:

med_gallery_2_122_1070478.jpg

I would like to replace them with some sort of demountable solution (better than self tapping screws).

I was thinking to something like this:

USR.gif

Other ideas please?

I don't understand why you don't use rivets, I've tried other solutions but have gone back to rivets as I feel they work best - so you have to drill them out next time, so what?