Overdrive Questions

sotal

I've got a friend who has a series which just does short slow speed journeys mainly on the farm. He has an overdrive fitted to his series 3 gearbox.

I was talking with him the other day and he was saying what a waste of time it was for the driving his land rover does, so said I could have it providing that:

I swapped it,

I didn't mess anything up,

I put on whatever parts are needed to fill the hole where it was.

I'm fetching my gearbox out at the moment so that I can have ago at replacing the detent springs and change the rear crank seal on the engine - so now seems a good time to do it.

What would I need to take off my box to put on his? Are all different suffixs identical?

Is it fairly straight forward to remove his? Anything to watch out for?

Have a look at the attached link as it has full installation details and time to do the job (??!!).

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/AD_Faireyoverdrive_savesfuel_p1.html

I've got to do the same job on our newly-aquired Series 3.

I think it's just the PTO cover you take off and you'll need to take off the blanking plate on your gearbox tunnel so your man doesn't have a hole in his cab.

Not sure of anything else?

Thanks for that excellent link - will print that off.

It looks like the PTO Cover has a gasket - is that a replaceable gasket that I need to get ready?

Just need to make sure I have everything with me to do the job - I can fit the overdrive at my leisure afterwards - just seems too good an offer to pass up on!

I have just taken mine off to sell it, things I needed for the job, silicon sealant, a new tab washer for the rear end of the main shaft, remove his o/d clutch sleave and fit your drive gear to his main shaft,

You could do with the special tool to remove and refit the castle nut on the end of the mainshaft they need to be tight.

Nick.

Right so to just remove it to start with I need to purchase the following:

Sealant (instead of gasket)

Lock tab washer (is that RTC7169?)

Possibly need the special tool 600300 for the mainshaft nut?? Is there an alternative? What size is it?

Then off my gearbox I need the drive gear and the PTO cover.

Also is a series 2a box the same as far as this is concerned? I have a 2a box spare which I could take these bits off first.

Anything else?

Re the special tool I made one from an old socket needs to be big not sure what size, you cut the castelations with an angle grinder, I know some people use a big chisel to undo and re tighten the main shaft nut but there is always the chance you may get bits of metal dropping into the trans fare box,

After you fit the o/d be sure to check the oil level every week or so as they don't hold much oil and it surprising how fast it can leak out, I think thats the reason most old o/d are noisy people running them low on oil.

Nick.

• 5 weeks later...

Before you go possibly wasting time and money, how about taking your mates truck for a test drive on a road where you can get up sufficient speed to use overdrive.Old overdrives and some new ones can develop a terrible howl due to the case hardening wearing off the upper rear gear. It is very difficult to cure this problem without buying lots of new parts.If you do go ahead, check the condition of the mating male and female splines of the so called clutch sleeve and overdrive input shaft as these are famous for dry corrosion fretting away quite quickly, eventually leading to a complete loss of drive.If undertaking journeys far from home always carry a standard mainshaft gear and PTO cover plate so that you can get going again in the event of a not uncommon overdrive failure.

bill.