ARC scrutineer needed

jamesvfr

Im just needing abit of info regarding a rear rad being fitted to a ccv trialer

Had a look through ARC regs + it says something needs to be fitted to shield the rad from driver / passenger

I take it by shield it means something with no holes like mesh?

Rad will be fitted on the rear downbars of the cage + there is currently some large square hole mesh fitted behind the seats

Just need to know so i dont have problems when im at a trial

Cheers

James

The clue is in the question,

A shield is to prevent the occupants of the vehicle from being scalded and burned, if or when the radiator, hose, expansion bottles etc or anything that may contain boiling water, burst's or leaks, which could be at any time.

Therefore a mesh is absolutly bleedin useless, and I don't fancy hearing or smelling anyone boiling away one day, so for your own and maybe your passengers sake, do a good job of it.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but safety must be paramount, burns are possibly one of the worst things that can happen, and can cause pain for years, and scar or disfigure for life.

Construct a good screen and thats that risk put to bed, mine was a pain and needs fans more or less running continously because of lack of direct airflow, that the downside of rear rads, especially with big hot V8's and loads of revs.

No thats not harsh just true

I know thats why they say a shield but i was trying to think how it would actually be effective if one side of the rad has a shield stopping airflow

My problem is that its a 3.9 in a series 1 coiler so theres no space around the engine what so ever

Have you got any pictures of your rear rad setup so i can see how you have done your shield?

I will still be keeping the rad in the front + will have 2 fans in each rad

James

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but safety must be paramount, burns are possibly one of the worst things that can happen, and can cause pain for years, and scar or disfigure for life.

Construct a good screen and thats that risk put to bed, mine was a pain and needs fans more or less running continously because of lack of direct airflow, that the downside of rear rads, especially with big hot V8's and loads of revs.

when i put a rear rad on my truck the first thing that came to my mind was the fact that myself or passenger could get a soaking of very hot water, i cured the problem by welding some tabs arround the hoop and cut some 4mm thick perspex to fill in, you are not looking at getting somthing totaly water tight just something to shield you from the initial blast,

I've actually got my back rad of at the moment so I will do a step by step of how it's fitted, and how it's covered, but bear in mind mine is a challenge truck and we think it's quite clever really and very usefull how everthing sort of fits in, just a ball ache to fill up with fuel.

Give us a day or two, no rush round here.