Just been given a 92 V8i Discovery

brianj

As the title says, I've just been given a five door 92 V8i Disco. The chassis is sound, the bodywork is rough, it has no MOT and it would cost quite a lot in both time and cash to get it up to scratch - more than it is worth anyway - so I am looking at taking the useful bits off.

As I'm a Series person - this is the nearest I've got to a Disco before.

Can someone please tell me - which bits are worthwhile saving, either for me or for anyone else?

And will the V8 diffs fit in my series axles? as my Series III is already fitted with a V8.

In terms of stripping - do I have to take off the rear wheels to pull out the half shafts - it looks totally different to a Salisbury axle.

Here's a linky some pix when I was working on the starter motor on it before the owner got fed up with it.

Also as I'm based here in Gib, if anyone is travelling down this way to North Africa or Southern Spain, and needs any bits - please let me know - no cost, unless you want to make a donation to the forum.

*Mods* If you think this would be better in another section please feel free to move. Thanks.

Series diffs are 4.7 ratio, all newer ones are 3.54 so you could change if you do them as a pair and it will increase the gearing a lot - about 32% - which may be good or bad depending on what you want!

If it has alloys you need to take the wheels off to get the halfshafts out, if it has steels you don't just pull the halfshafts out through the wheel centres but with alloys you can't do this.

Thanks for that BM. There is no problem with me increasing the higher ratio diffs, as it is standard diffs with a SII gear box. Should just give me a slightly higher top speed - 60mph rather than 50mph :D.

This disco is fitted with alloys, but otherwise I'm presuming it's the same procudure as normal - half shafts out and then diffs out.

I've actually got it running now, so it's not as much of a basket case as I thought it was.

Hey thanks for the link Pongo, can't really do much with it like that, as I don't have a garage or workshop :(